Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How do you mark your personal gps

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you mark your personal gps

After reading the "what would you do" thread about the guy finding a gps unit floating along the bank and some of the responses, I was wondering how, if at all, most of us mark our own units. It made me think that I guess it is a good thing that usually just for fun or learning how a new unit works, I've had several over the years, the first waypoint I put in is where I live. Is this normal? not that I do a lot of normal things!! :D
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a very expensive gps unit one time a couple years ago in a snow bank. I thought it was ruined for sure and was very surprised to find out it powered up and worked just fine when I turned it on. I found the first waypoint labeled "home" and that is how I returned it to its owner. His car was broke into and how no idea it was even missing.
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what i do and title with phone number

Post Thanks / Like

We have had a couple of homes broken into due to lost GPS units with "home" in it. So, instead my "home" is a small grocery/gas station up the road. I do have my name on it as a opening screen though.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

I was the poster wwho started the post "what would you do?" I don't have home marked just the point where I enter the woods when I use it. Since i hunt so many places I mark each parking lot as home and take off. I can figure out where I'm at on the lake since it's not that large. Why anyone would mark there own home, is a little weird to me. Who doesn't know where there own home is.

Post Thanks / Like

I wondered too about putting "Home" in and putting your house as the waypoint. If the unit was lost and the finder was honest you might be OK, but these days how you gonna know?

Post Thanks / Like

All my gps's (fish finders, hand held and wifes car ect..) do not have my home logged in, i dont want some theif knowing were i live. If one gets lost or stolen guess im s.o.l. I would rather buy new gps and not having to worry about my house and family

Post Thanks / Like

I have my name, email, and phone number on the opening screen. I also engraved my initials into the case. I do have a way point for my house, but its not labeled as home. I use it to measure distances.
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?