Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Jig Lesson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Free Jig Lesson

I want to share a, new to some of you, jig technique. In the picture below, you see 4 different jig weights on graph paper, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4 ounce. They all have the same 1-1/2” tubes and #2 hooks. Their profiles look very similar, but the difference in feel is incredible. For reference, one ¼-oz. weight is equal to eight 1/32-oz. jigs. Tie on eight 1/32-oz. jigs and feel the difference for yourself.
    Note: click on the bar for a larger view.

When vertical fishing in tight cover, you want to maintain contact with your bait at all times, so you’re not decorating the brush pile like a Christmas tree. The beauty is, that Crappie don’t care what weight you use. I fished with the larger weight jigs for several years and found it has no negative effect on the hook up ratio. It may even improve your catch rate because you’re not afraid to fish in tight cover. You do not need to be jigging your bait up and down like the name refers. The best method I found is to hold the jig perfectly still, then slowly move it up or down. Try this test, tie on your favorite jig and get a pitcher of water. Hold your fishing rod horizontally like normal and try to hold your jig perfectly still in the pitcher of water. Notice how it almost comes alive and looks natural? The fish know when something is unusual and avoid it. Take it easy when fishing the snags and hang ups. We all know that the easiest way to get your jig out of the jungle is with your hook securely buried in the top of a SLAB’s mouth. For some fishermen and women, adding a weed guard is another advantage when fishing this method. The thing about weed guards is that they must be trimmed to just cover the point of the hook ( these are not trimmed). If you fish them right out of the package like these, you are going to miss a lot of fish. This techique is just one that I use in certain vertical situations. Everybody has their own way that works for them, but you might add this to your catalog of tricks to fool a few more GO-rillas. I hope you try this method on your favorite brush pile and fill your Lucky Bucket.
    God Bless,
    NightProwler
    Last edited by Nightprowler; 04-03-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

OK Prowler, Show us your properly trimmed weedless jigs please.
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trimmed Weedguard

Here is the way I trim my weed guards. I lay a pair of sharp scissors parallel with the hook end and trim the weed guard diagonally, leaving about 1/8” covering the hook point. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

got a friend that fishes a big clear lake and back when the weather was cold was catching his limit each trip out. he said the secret was holding the jig as still as you could.

Post Thanks / Like

Good lesson. I learned a couple of new things I have never heard or thought of. Thanks nightprowler.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent point that every fisherman regardless of species targeted should keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightprowler View Post
    When vertical fishing in tight cover, you want to maintain contact with your bait at all times, so you’re not decorating the brush pile like a Christmas tree. The beauty is, that Crappie don’t care what weight you use. I fished with the larger weight jigs for several years and found it has no negative effect on the hook up ratio.
    Exactly. Fish only see size, shape and drop speed. They cannot tell the difference between weights. That works to our advantage. We can tailor our presentation by using different head sizes and shapes without altering the size of the lure presented to drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightprowler View Post
    You do not need to be jigging your bait up and down like the name refers. The best method I found is to hold the jig perfectly still, then slowly move it up or down. Try this test, tie on your favorite jig and get a pitcher of water. Hold your fishing rod horizontally like normal and try to hold your jig perfectly still in the pitcher of water. Notice how it almost comes alive and looks natural? The fish know when something is unusual and avoid it.
    Right again. Because of human anatomy and physiology: when we focus on major muscle control our fine motor skill tends to become over-excited. You'll never notice it until doing an experiment like the one above. It is impossible for a person to hold anything 'perfectly' motionless for any length of time. You may think you are but you are making imperceptibly small movements. These movements are exaggerated and enhanced by the limber/flexible nature of not only the rod but of the lure itself. Also the water plays a great deal too. A pitcher of water will be still. However even a mirror-calm body of water will still have enough movement under the surface to make some lures come alive. This is the fundamental principal behind such lures as a stinger or Baby Shad and even a tube to some degree, as well as accounting for some of the action of a hair/feather jig.
    pour'em-paint'em-tie'em-fish'em-stick'em-fry'em!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good post. Thanks.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

NP Excellent advice. I have stared to fish nothing but 1/8 oz heads for Slabs. Can use 2 different size hooks in my molds. A #2 And #4 with this I can make a small body short profile and a Large profile jig. There are times when they want the larger profile and days when they gobble up the smaller one. I shake so bad that I can never keep a jig completely still but some how I manage to catch Slabs. You are spot on that you have to have contact with your jig. When you don't how do you know when they hit it. Have been a advocate of this since my Walleye fishing days in the mid-west.

Redman

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the Great Info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiCrappie View Post
    Right again. Because of human anatomy and physiology: when we focus on major muscle control our fine motor skill tends to become over-excited. You'll never notice it until doing an experiment like the one above. It is impossible for a person to hold anything 'perfectly' motionless for any length of time. You may think you are but you are making imperceptibly small movements. These movements are exaggerated and enhanced by the limber/flexible nature of not only the rod but of the lure itself. Also the water plays a great deal too. A pitcher of water will be still. However even a mirror-calm body of water will still have enough movement under the surface to make some lures come alive. This is the fundamental principal behind such lures as a stinger or Baby Shad ...
    ... or Charlie Brewer's slider. This is CB's "do nothing" method. He spends a lot of time explaining it in his book on slider fishing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast