Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Drop shot-- How to

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drop shot-- How to

I tried" drop shot" today. I would like for someone to tell me how to do it. I had 2 lines off my main line followed by a weight at the bottom. I was bouncing the weight off the bottom. I was feeling for structure as I fished. Do I move the line or sorta jig it? Did catch some crappie, but probably would of done better with proper technique. Any suggestions!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I only drop shot during the winter with minnow's when the fish are real deep.But you do have it rigged up right,I just never fished it with jig's.

Post Thanks / Like

I do it in the summer pattern some and even at night. I use the real Drop Shot weights because they are easy to change and also if I am fishing minnows I will use a Gamakatsu Drop Shot hook in either a #1 or #2. I like the thin wire and lets the minnow move more I think plus sharp as any hook out there.

Just lower it to the depth they are holding or a little above and tight line them like that. I wouldn't put it on the bottom as usually they are not on the bottom, at least not here in the summer.

You can also do the same thing using a jig as your weight and bait and a hook above with a minnow and I do that a lot in the summer.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shakynerves24 View Post
    I tried" drop shot" today. I would like for someone to tell me how to do it. I had 2 lines off my main line followed by a weight at the bottom. I was bouncing the weight off the bottom. I was feeling for structure as I fished. Do I move the line or sorta jig it? Did catch some crappie, but probably would of done better with proper technique. Any suggestions!!!!
    Shaky .... when I think of "Drop shot" fishing ... I think of having a weight on the end of the line, and a standout hook tied on up the line a specific distance from the weight -- dropping the weight to the bottom, then lightly bouncing the line with the rod tip, while not moving the weight from it's position on the bottom. Action is imparted or accentuated, by the rod tip movement ... while the weight remains on bottom. This is more of a "in your face, fish" type of fishing method ... where pinpoint accuracy, in the placement of the rig, is key to enticing a fish in a neutral mood, into biting. You're basically "daring" the fish to bite, by presenting a lively offering right in front of them, that doesn't "go" anywhere else ... giving them time to ease over to it, & take the offering, when they're not in the mood to chase it down or hit it from pure "reaction".

IMHO ... what you describe is more of a KY Rig &/or Bouncing Bottom technique. Not so much from the two auxillary lines coming off the main line, but more from the fact that you were "bouncing" the weight off the bottom & searching for structure/cover with the weight. That's typical of the "bouncing bottom" technique, used to fish along ledges & channel drops ... as well as the "Ky rig" method of dual bait lines above a weight, which is lifted & placed while using the weight to feel for cover.

True "Drop shot" fishing is a clear water Bass fishing technique, a "finesse" type of presentation. We, Crappie anglers, borrowed this technique & tweaked it to suit our purposes.

All that being said ... it sometimes doesn't matter if you're using a specific technique exactly as it's drawn up. What does matter is the results ... and if they're positive, repeating the same technique used to produce those results. What you'll want to do, in the future, is concentrate on WHAT exactly you were doing, when the bite occurs. As in notice WHEN the bite occurs .... like, was it when you were lifting the rig, dropping the rig, when the rig was stationary, was there one color or one hook that was catching more, were they hitting it only when it was near the cover ... and so on. That's what we mean when we say "let the fish tell you what they want/how they want it".

You caught fish, doing what you were doing .... so you had to have been doing something right (as well as being "where" there were fish). So, I wouldn't beat myself up too much over it. Consider it, and every time you're fishing, or using a different technique, as a "teaching moment" (learning experience), as they will collect in your memory, and be useful in future endeavors.

... cp

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish the drop shot and KY Rig in a similar fashion. If they are deep and I am in a boat I lower it to the bottom and them raise it up one turn or the reel. That way it is bouncing with the waves and that is good action. I can use the same rig from the bank and cast it into deeper water. When I tighten the line, the jigs are dangling down from the line and moving with current. The sinker weight on the bottom holds the tightline in place.

Pappy gave you some great advice when he stated "What you'll want to do, in the future, is concentrate on WHAT exactly you were doing, when the bite occurs. As in notice WHEN the bite occurs .... like, was it when you were lifting the rig, dropping the rig, when the rig was stationary, was there one color or one hook that was catching more, were they hitting it only when it was near the cover ... and so on. That's what we mean when we say "let the fish tell you what they want/how they want it".
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.