Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completely Re-Wiring 97 Suntracker 21 ft. Party Barge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Completely Re-Wiring 97 Suntracker 21 ft. Party Barge

BELOW ARE 2 PICTURES OF MY MESS, I AM A NOVICE, PERHAPS SOME OF YOU EXPERTS CANT POINT OUT MY PROBLEM EASILY

My confidence is high, just need a good guide. I am a quick learner, just dont really know where to start. Any suggestions as to where to find a layout or possibly some pictures to go off of, the wiring in this boat is a mess. The engine is a 90 HP merc, also a 97. Any advice would be a god send. Thanks in advance for anyone with any advice!

When I say completely re-wiring, that is mainly just under the console. I dont believe the wiring is messed up back towards the motor necessarily. My problems come with the ignition switch, lights, fishfinder and radio. For some reason, and maybe it was supposed to be like this, but last fishin trip, It sounded like I had a couple of subwoofers in my boat, the thing sure got loud.

"The difference between insanity and pure brilliance is merely the amount of success measured"
    An Armed Society is a Polite Society, Manners are Good when One May Have to Back up his Acts with his Life-Robert A. Heinlein on the 2nd Amendment

Post Thanks / Like

First don't do anything, get a tester and see where the problem is. If you don't know how to work one, find someone whoe does. There is usually no need to rewire a boat. Chances are it can be found and fixed in less than an hour. Where are you located?
    www.varsitymrtg.com the #1 source for Fisherman's home financing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I am in Oologah, Oklahoma

I am northeast of Tulsa, OK about 30 miles! Right on a lake
    An Armed Society is a Polite Society, Manners are Good when One May Have to Back up his Acts with his Life-Robert A. Heinlein on the 2nd Amendment

Post Thanks / Like

Being the KLUTZ that I am, I wouldnt touch that thing with a 10 foot pole. It looks like the underside of a pinball machine to me.

GOOD LUCK my friend!, you may need it.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A good place to start would be that fuse block. Check all the crimp on connectors for corrosion and tightness. Pull the fuses one at a time and be sure they are tight and the holder is clean. Check all connections for corrosion and tightness on all switches. Disconnect wires one at a time and reroute them so they can be secured neatly with ty wraps. If any wires are hard and insulation cracked, they should be replaced. Again route them so they can be secured. Use good quality marine wire and solder any splices then cover the splice with heat shrink. Another good idea is to make yourself a schematic as you go, then when you are done you will know what color wire goes where. When you are done you want some nice neat bundles of wires that are not flopping all over the place or can be snagged by something put under there.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Cooler O' Slabs
    I am northeast of Tulsa, OK about 30 miles! Right on a lake
    I live in Oologah, call me.
    I sent you a pm.
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 03-09-2006 at 07:59 AM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

How long have you had the boat? Has the radio ever work properly? To me,looking at the wireing onthe back of the radio your speakers are sharing the Ground wire. 4 wires in the back Red=positive, black=neg Green & blue=positive side of the speaker L & R. Any change in the charging system will distort your speakers. Well you are at it I would follow the previous advice and sort & label the wires. You can get conduit at any auto parts store just make everything neat & out of the way. Check all connections for fit & for any sign of corrosion.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Advice Guys!! I appreciate it!

I believe that a local marine mechanic is going to give me a guide as well, so hopefully I will be all set! THanks again

Post Thanks / Like

If it all falls apart, at least you got some pictures to try and figure it out. I don't recommend it and it sounds like you have some good help. When I did mine, I took pictures and rerouted and rewired about every wire. It was almost over whelming, but I took my time and put it all back just as it was originally. I also did a search for the schematics or wiring diagram for my particular boat. With the pics and diagram I was able to get it all right, then I blew the motor Good luck. You'll get it.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where did you locate the Diagram and Skematics?

I have looked all over, perhaps im just not searching for the right words, but that would seal the deal. I have been searching for one for about a month

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast