Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tuneup questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default tuneup questions

Hi guys, posted this on the GA board and got some good replies. Just seeing if any of you have anything to add.

The old man dropped off the boat today to be tuned up and to get the trailer recarpeted. They said it would be 3 weeks before they could even think about looking at. It doesn't seem to make a d*mn when you take them something, it's a month. The carpet can wait.

I can't be without a boat for the entire freakin spawn. HELP!

It's a 1993 Tracker Pro-17 Special Edition. Motor is a 60hp Pro Edition EVINRUDE.

What do I need to do and how hard would it be for me to do this myself?? I'm fairly mechanicly inclined but not that familiar with marine motors. It's been sluggish the last trip or two, but other than that it runs fine.

So far, I'm expecting to change the plugs and run some Sea Foam through it. Maybe change the fuel filter too.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-09-2006 at 02:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Im new to the marine world to, learning but need instruction normally. However, that being said, most people I talk with relate to a motorcycle engine so if you have any experience with those, it may help! Im waiting anxiously for someone to reply to your question as well!! Good Luck
    An Armed Society is a Polite Society, Manners are Good when One May Have to Back up his Acts with his Life-Robert A. Heinlein on the 2nd Amendment

slabster Guest

Default tune up

hello i would just replace the spark plugs - gap the plugs right . replace the fuel and fuel filter. also check the spark plug wires and the coil wire. good luck!

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

slabster said it all if still sluges fresh gass
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Clean the carbs, change the lower unit oil, replace sparkplugs, visually check all hoses and wiring for cracks or damage, repair as necessary

If your impeller is over two years old, go ahead and replace that. If you've never changed the impeller or water pump, forget the impeller and get the water pump kit w/impeller.

Expect to spend a half a day on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a manual. It will walk you through most anything that you feel comfortable doing. And probally have alot of things you dont really want to mess with. They are pricey but you save by doing things yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Bhodges,

Go to www.selocmarine.com and you will see where you can purchase an online manual for three year subscription for your motor. This will tell you everything you need for your motor. I just did a full tune up and water pump rebuild for a 1996 Merc 60 hp two stroke. Would not have even attempted with out the manual. Just my 2 cents worth. I will never pay to have someone touch my motor again.

Post Thanks / Like

Go here and it will tell you everything you need to know.
    Even has a movie on replacing the water pump.

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Cool!

Thanks everyone for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

amazon.com has the manuals for cheaper than the seloc site. I just got a brand new manual for an old evinrude for a buddy for under 25 bucks. I have been told that the Clymer manuals are a little better than the seloc brand. I don't know if this is tru or not but what I heard is that clymer will walk you thru everything top to bottom where seloc will still recommend some things should be done by a marine tech. I have a seloc for my old merc and I can follow it just fine though. The hardest part was figuring out which sections apply to my motor...smedley
    Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast