Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you do?

In the early spring I like to scrounge around the local lakes looking for bobbers, anchors, lures, and other stuff. I've found just about everything. Poles, boat seats, trolling motors, battery boxes, life preservers, anchors, tackle boxes, wallets, cell phones and all kinds of stuff.

The lake I hunt also has some other people that do the same thing, kind of like a hobby . Well any way, the other day I was out and one of my competitors and I were talking and he said he found a gps floating along the shoreline. He didn't know how to use it so I showed him the basics. On the gps there was about 20 spots marked with fishing spots for the lake.

Now the question, would you use the gps coordinates if you found a gps like this guy did?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean to locate the owner of it? If so, I would definitely use it locate the owner. If he had his home location marked it would be easy, not to mention fun to see his/her face when you knocked on the door.

If you mean fishing his/her spots, why not? I would probably already have them marked myself though.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Most GPS unit have their owners name in the memory. I know when I turn on the first thing that comes up is my name and address. I also scavenger hunt the shorelines during winter drawdown for lures and other fishing things but a gps is a little different. I know I would really appreciate someone returning it to me. Never know, they may end up being a friend for life.
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I would take the gps and contact the company that made it and check the serial numbers to see if I could get the name of the owner and then try and contact him. Im sure someone would like to have it back. Don't know what to tell you about the coordinates, they belong to someone else so I would try to find out who it belongs to and forget about using the coordinates. Thats just me other folks may have different ideas. Good luck.
    RUST NEVER SLEEPS

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink And that brings up another point ....

Use an etching tool or Dremel .... and mark your stuff Thumbs Up (especially the high $$ stuff)

Either use a mark that you can identify (what it looks like & where it's located) ... or your name, or initials (phone # ??). All that will help the "finder" be able to get it back to the "owner". Hands Clapping

Myself, I'd try to locate the owner .... with a serious effort for about a month .... and if no luck, I'd consider it "mine". Not knowing what the original "owner" was fishing for, would leave me in a quandary as to whether to use the marked spots or not. I see the dilemma ... do you consider the "spots" as sacred, found & marked by the previous owner ... or do you consider the "spots" the same as $$, found in a wallet with no ID

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I think what he is meaning is would you fish the spots marked on the gps. Which in my opinion I would not fish any of the spots. I would see if the owners name is in the memory or if I could find out some how whos it was. If not I would post up some signs with my number at all the boat ramps for him to call me. If he described the unit color, make, model and stuff like that he would get it back. I have never lost anything of value but if i did i would hope someone would return it to me.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The guy probably dropped it in the hole while icefishing last winter. Push the waypoint button for home and it will give you his coords for his house or ramp that he uses the most. If you still cant find him, fish some of the spots marked and chances are you'll run into him that way. That is, if he has a boat. If all the areas on the gps are within walking distance on ice, he probably only uses it in the winter, like i and others do. That will make it harder to find him. Try all these suggestions if you want to give it back otherwise just keep it. He's probably not a member here or he would have said something about losing it last winter.

Post Thanks / Like

if you cant locate the owner....I would fish the spots....then if a guy flips you the bird, or makes huge wake around you while your trying to fish it wah la!!!!! owner found Rofl.....no really I cant lie and say I wouldnt check those spots out....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! No problem!

Post Thanks / Like

Would make every effort to find the rightful owner by fishing those GPS coordinates EVERYDAY `till he showed up and as soon as he positively ID`ed make model and color would promptly return it...course, that`s just my 2 cents...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast