Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setup for gills

Post Thanks / Like

Default Setup for gills

Any of you pro's what to reveal your setup for getting after those gills Gary I

Post Thanks / Like

sure but you wont belive ME I smell for them when there bedding

Post Thanks / Like

I typically use maggots under a float. I use a 4# main line with a 2 or 3# tippet and a size 14 dry fly hook. I tweak that setup occasionally, but it's my basic rig.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gary
    I aint no pro but i fish for them with a #1 hook and a large split shot about a foot above that. Usually on a 5'6" rod. Fishing on the bottom in bout 20" water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gary
    For me, it depends on the time of year. A lot of panfishers only fish the spawn, but I target them all year. I can do that here in California. For pre-spawn and summer fish, I drift deep water areas adjacent to spawning areas with a California rig (UL Carolina rig) consisting of a 1/8-3/16 tungston weight, #10 spro swivel, 2-4# fluorocarbon leader, #8 Owner mosquito hook and cricket. During spawn, pitching my special 1/32 oz.cricket jig. with cricket or meal worm on 2# fluoro line to spawning areas. Winter, deep water areas with a light (4#) drop-shot rig, #8 mosquito hook with cricket. Most of my fishing is by float tube with fish finder. Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

For bedding gills I use a 7' - 8' bnm with 4lb flurocarbon with a #8 or #10 mosquito/octopus(red) with a split shot 10" above the hook, with or without a wing-it slip float. This rig allows me to cast very far so I do not have to get on top of the beds.

Deep water I use a 6'6" allstar with 1lb or 2lb line maybe up to 6lb depending on cover, otherwise same set-up no float.

Flipping cyprus trees I use an 8' bnm with 6lb P-Line and a #6 mosquito/octopus with a split shot and thill slider float.

Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the following exclusively

BnM ultralite 8ft
    4lb spiderwire mono
    small styrofoam float (as indicator only)
    #8 long shaft cricket hook
    fishing worms, crickets, grass shrimp or waxworms on bottom

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Mosquito Hook ?

Hey Sunfish, What is a mosquito hook? First time I have heard of one. Thanks Jimmy S.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish the banks all summer with an ultra lite and beetle spins. I catch a lot of white perch that way too, depending on where I'm at.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyS
    Hey Sunfish, What is a mosquito hook? First time I have heard of one. Thanks Jimmy S.
    A light wire hook by Owner Hooks www.ownerhooks.com great for all types of live bait. Dave.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast