Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kayak Crappie Fishermen?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayak Crappie Fishermen?

Howdy Guys,

I'm new to crappie fishing and would love to here from you guys who fish via kayak for crappie. Any thougths on gear and setup for crappie fishing on your kayak would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been kayak crappie fishing sinse October and love it. I first bought a Wilderness ride kayak and love it. I fished for 2 or 3 months and caught a lot of fish, several limits of crappie. I then bought a Hobie Outback and man that is a crappie catching machine. As far as kayaks go I think it is perfect for the way I fish. I'm a jigger and I can suspend over tops and jig them or anchor if the wind is high. Move from top to top. I have mine rigged pretty well with live well, fishfinder, lunch box, rod holders, tackleboxes and everything I need. If you would like some pics just pm me.
    Mike Barnett

Post Thanks / Like

PM Slabsrus from the MI board. He's strictly a kayak fisherman and been doin it since about the time he could walk I think.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

mb4850, what length of rods are you using on your Hobie? I was thinking the ultra light 5'6" would to trick? Wilderness Systems and Hobie kayaks are really nice. I have a Malibu Stealth 14 with the livewell in the middle and love it! I've got 2 ram mount rod holders on x-wing that work really well. I think they will work perfectly for crappie fishing. PM me some pics your setup, I would love to check out your setup!

yankee doodler, I will do that, thanks for your help. What part of Michigan are you from? My wife is from Flint and all of her family is still on there. I'll be bring my kayak up there this summer. Any good fishing holes in the Flint area?

Post Thanks / Like

I have been fishing and hunting out of kayaks since 1987 and have had the opportunity to use many kayaks over the years. In my opinion, the best all around hunting and fishing kayak is the Ultimate 14.5 tandem by Native Watercraft. The 14.5 offers a great line for tracking while the tunnel hull offers superb stability. The tandem allows for a passenger if it is ever called for, but with the removable seats, the Ultimate 14.5 tandem can readilly be turned into a one person vessel. It is a low rider with a completely open cockpit which allows for a lot of gear to be carried and accessed easily. Though it does ride low, about 4 inches from the waterline when loaded, it is very stable and keeps the water out very well. Even in fairly rough water. The seats are aluminum framed with cloth/nylon seat and back. They are adjustable to just about any back angle you desire and the seat has a few height/angle adjustments. I see tons of kayaks out there now with rods sticking up in the air out or rod holders and extra rods behind the seats flying like flag poles. Crates or boxes behind the seat with loads of extra gear. That is all fine and well if you are strictly fishing wide open areas. I can carry as much, or more gear than any kayay out there, and it is never in the way because it is stowed in the kayak not on the kayak. If fishing rivers, creeks or brushy shorelines, it is pretty much useless to have your rods in pole holders or extra rods sticking up in the air behind your seat. They are sure to get in the way. I have seen this first hand. With the Ultimate 14.5 tandem by Native Watercraft you can simply lay your extra rod right in the kayak in front of, or behind you. A tackle box or bag, net, cooler, etc, all fit nicely. My kayak is also my tournament bass boat and it is more than adequate. Two guys, four rod/reel combos, two tackle boxes, net,large cooler for live well, pfd for each,and small cooler for refreshments, not a problem, and still very stable.
    I would highly reccommend it in the Olive Green color. It is a very neutral color which seems to not spook shallow water fish, and, works great for waterfowling.
    Sure there are plenty of good kayaks out there, but speaking from almost 25 years of experience, I have a pretty good idea about what fishing and hunting from a kayak is all about and would highly recommend at least looking into the Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5.
    Hope this helps you out a bit and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBorn74 View Post
    Howdy Guys,

I'm new to crappie fishing and would love to here from you guys who fish via kayak for crappie. Any thougths on gear and setup for crappie fishing on your kayak would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

A dry bag and a pelican dry box will prob come in handy.
    "They bitin' up river on that topwater"

Post Thanks / Like

Dang Slabsrus,

I just went from never thinking about fishing in such a vessel to now wanting one real bad. I really appreciate your write-up.

Post Thanks / Like

slabsrus, I really like the ultimate kayaks too but I have the Malibu Steath 14 that I really like, plus the livewell in the middle will be very helpful for minnows and shad. It's a dry ride and very stable kayak. I love my x-wing too! Lots of storage space and tones of rigging options. I still rigging mine out and will post some pics soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SoonerBorn74; 04-01-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: wrong layout

Post Thanks / Like

slabsrus do you jig with a long pole or troll for crappie?
    Mike Barnett

Post Thanks / Like

sooner I mostly use a 10' B&M ultralite bottom seat jiggin rod with a Zebco trigger spin reel. Sometimes I use a 7' ulite rod and spinning reel.
    Cricket I'm going to Grenada Lake Tuesday thru Saturday and I'll be kayak fishing in my Yeller Hobie Outback. D0o you fish Grenada?
    Mike Barnett

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast