Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mini mite

Post Thanks / Like

Default mini mite

ok, i swear by these jigs and wondering if others think the same of them or if it's just me being stubborn to fish with other jigs and is only thing I have confidence in...I'm trying to grow my confidence in other jigs as these are too expensive.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used them much, but the last two times I did the early-season crappies liked them. I agree that they are outrageously expensive. The only thing offsetting that somewhat is that they are more durable than I expected from their diameter.

Here's a question back at you. The first one of these I bought, at least a decade ago, had a vigorous tail action as I retrieved it. The two different ones I've used recently (smallest version with, I think, a 1/64 oz. ballhead jig it came with, just like the one I bought years ago) had no tail action I could see on a straight retrieve. That was fine with the cold-water crappies, but I was surprised at the tail stiffness. What do you see in that regard with yours?

Post Thanks / Like

can you post a picture of the bait please

Post Thanks / Like

i looked them up on line

Post Thanks / Like

I have found the Nail-Tails, by the same company, to be way superior crappie catchers. I would fish Tampier Lake (Cook County IL) back in the 1990's with those Mini-Mites while observing an old woman constantly catching more crappie than me or anyone else I had seen. I finally swallowed my pride and talked to her and was introduced to fishing the Nail-Tails. It is very important to use plain ball head jigs (NO SPUR).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by split handle View Post
    I haven't used them much, but the last two times I did the early-season crappies liked them. I agree that they are outrageously expensive. The only thing offsetting that somewhat is that they are more durable than I expected from their diameter.

Here's a question back at you. The first one of these I bought, at least a decade ago, had a vigorous tail action as I retrieved it. The two different ones I've used recently (smallest version with, I think, a 1/64 oz. ballhead jig it came with, just like the one I bought years ago) had no tail action I could see on a straight retrieve. That was fine with the cold-water crappies, but I was surprised at the tail stiffness. What do you see in that regard with yours?
    I have not noticed a difference over the years, not saying there isn't a difference I just have not picked up a difference.

As for the nail tails, I don't use those, I have no expierence.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out some of the guys who make and sell plastics in the DIY soft plastics section and they have a few that look really close to it. If you make your own jigs you'd only have to get some plastics.

Post Thanks / Like

Making jigs is a good idea, but it is pretty hard to make 1/64 or even 1/32 because of their small size. I have never actually tried the cubby brand mini mites but I tried the southern pro version- its called the Tiny Worm. As far as the nail tail goes, I use the panfish popsicle brand. Both of these work really good and you get 3 rigged and 6 extra bodies. I would really like to try some of the cubby ones, but at 7 bucks a pop thats 2 expensive for me. That would mean that if I bought 1 pack of each color I already have I would spend 63 bucks for just the paddle tail like version. After thinking about this I think I know what Im going to ask for my birthday
    Getting Ready for Ice Fishing

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to take a look at Charlie Brewer Slider Grubs, too. Good action, good color selection. 20pks run around $3.00

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Cubby Nail-Tails are 1.59 per 10 pack and 3.89 shipping from their Panfishpro site. Local shops will usually charge around 2.30 a 10 pack. Catfish Connection in Pana, IL, has them for 1.55 per 10 pack in their 2010 catalog with shipping from 6.95 and up according to order value for mail orders. Nail-Tails are sold with the tails only- no jig heads in the package.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast