PDA

View Full Version : I love this trolling thing

crappieseeker
03-07-2006, 11:29 PM
I have never really done any real trolling before. Tried it last week for an hour or so and just basically learned how to do it. I went back today to apply what I learned and we killed them. I cleaned 58 crappie. Hey Fatboy, I just added another weapon to my arsenal. I know now why J White and the rest of you trollers love it so much. I had a blast. I will try to post some pics of the fish tomorrow maybe.

crappieseeker
03-07-2006, 11:30 PM
By the way, we caught them on Woods Res. They wouldnt hardly touch a minnow, we caught them on curly tail grubs, pretty much any color.

crappiechaser2
03-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Tell us a little info on HOW you were trolling. Please. I fish Barkley mostly.

pstone
03-07-2006, 11:46 PM
I have been thinking about rigging to try some trolling myself, I have been once, but we didn't know what we were doing.

crappieseeker
03-09-2006, 09:40 AM
We were trolling tube jigs and minnows. We just cast our jigs out behind the boat at different lengths and propped them in the rod holders and just used the trolling motor to drag us along. Set back and just grabbed a pole when a fish was on. On two occasions all three of mine had a fish on at the same time, now that was fun, but I had to have my partners help to get em in. Here's a pic of our catch of 58 that we brought home.

Rattler
03-09-2006, 09:48 AM
I have my boat rigged for trolling but have never really learned how to do it justice. I think I'm going to commit myself to it this year and just make myself learn. I think it would benefit for me to on some of these MO lakes that I have trouble on. Good catch!

skiptomylu
03-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Trolling is my Favorite in the Spring and Fall (just a little deeper in the Fall). I started catching crappie that way back in 1979 and still works well.

dockfishin
03-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Nice catch of fish there.
It really is hard to beat trolling. If your set up is right you can kick back and relax while the boat does all the work. My kids love it too- they can sit up with me and watch the poles and talk/play (quietly) then pull in the fish while I use the net.
Happy fishing.

crappiencali
03-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Nice catch. God you guys are driving me crazy. I can't wait to get back to the mid-west and the south. Save a few of those crappie for me. PLEASE!!!

mighty
03-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Where did you getem at?

TN or AL

fish_detective
03-09-2006, 11:48 AM
A very healthy catch I wish I was there...

Fish Detective

tioga183
03-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Guys what size jigs are you using when trolling.I am new to the art of crappie fishing if you can give any name brand for the jigs it would be appreciated.
tioga

crappiencali
03-09-2006, 12:06 PM
I usually use 1/16 oz - 1/8 oz depending on the depth and wind. I use horsehead jigs or regular round head. I buy them plain and paint them myself.

ThrillSeeker
03-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Were you trolling over a lot of structure?

ShilohRed
03-09-2006, 02:53 PM
What depth were you catching the fish? And what speed were you moving?
Pete

skiptomylu
03-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Guys what size jigs are you using when trolling.I am new to the art of crappie fishing if you can give any name brand for the jigs it would be appreciated.
tioga

I troll slow so I use a 1/32 oz. most of the time, but do use a 1/16 some. I also use marabou roadrunners more than others.

I also find that I get more hits when the bite is slow using the 1/32 oz.

c1bigocarp
03-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Looks like a good mess of fish. Fatboy and Crappieseeker are going to have to educate me into this art. I see people do it all the time but have never tried. If I keep seeing people with photos like that I may have to convert to a troll! Good catch. See you at Woods this weekend.

skiptomylu
03-10-2006, 01:57 PM
tioga

I troll slow so I use a 1/32 oz. most of the time, but do use a 1/16 some. I also use marabou roadrunners more than others. In the Spring most of my trolling is in 4'-6' water depth around grass.

I also find that I get more hits when the bite is slow using the 1/32 oz.

Next...Chartreuse with anything, but my favorite color is Red Head/Green Body/Chartreuse Tail.

weaver
03-10-2006, 02:02 PM
I would love to troll, but when I go down to Dale Hollow in a couple weeks, seems all the fish will be up in the coves against or on structure? I would think casting is the only option. Are there fish locations this time of year I'm missing where trolling may work?

Thanks
Weaver

crappiencali
03-10-2006, 04:01 PM
skiptomylu,

do you have any luck with those marabou roadrunners when you troll? Never used marabou while trolling will have to do that. Do you use them just jigging too? Trying to get a couple more tricks up my sleeve. Thanks for any help.

skiptomylu
03-10-2006, 05:47 PM
skiptomylu,

do you have any luck with those marabou roadrunners when you troll? Never used marabou while trolling will have to do that. Do you use them just jigging too? Trying to get a couple more tricks up my sleeve. Thanks for any help.

Yes I have really good luck using the roadrunners and like I said I have been using them since about 1978-1979 trolling. It was something I just stumbled on to doing and never stopped. I have also have had good luck using a jig called "the big crappie jig" by Blue Fox and it's a really small short jig, but works well and yes I use chartreuse it it as well.

As to the speed...I generally can get the right speed with my troll motor set on 3 (of 10) and adjust for the wind speed and direction. I just go back and forth over the same water for a long time without the bite stopping.

I have one area that I probably only go maybe 200 feet and then turn around and go back over the same water.

I am always using this method around the grass and when I get a fish on I throw out a buoy marker and then again the next one same. Soon you have a path that keeps you on fish much of the time.

I find the 1/32 roadrunner with my troll motor set on 3 will do the trick in 4'-6' of water. I have used 1/16 some, but still think more bites come to the smaller jig.

When I first started this in the fall back then (1978-1979) I could catch 60-70 keepers an hour fishing with my wife. I was fishing in the fall in 12-14' of water and the speed near the same, maybe a tiny bit slower.

On a good day in the spring you can catch more than you can eat trolling and it's the lazy way to fish. I just set the troll motor and make a cast to the side as far as I can with the 1/32 oz. jig and let the boat move pulling it to the back.

ShilohRed
03-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Anyone have pictures of the way they set to troll jigs? I mounted a trolling motor on the side of my boat today. That way I and side troll. Or as they call it here. Side pulling.
Never fished that way, But will be doing it soon.
Pete

abarkley
03-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Anyone have pictures of the way they set to troll jigs? I mounted a trolling motor on the side of my boat today. That way I and side troll. Or as they call it here. Side pulling.
Never fished that way, But will be doing it soon.
Pete

side pulling is deadly in deep water. google roger gant. you'll find some pictures and probably some info that'll help.

ShilohRed
03-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks this is where roger started the side pulling. And i have seen these guys doing for years. just now getting around to trying it.
But in the cold or hot I do just as well or better spider rigging.
Pete

side pulling is deadly in deep water. google roger gant. you'll find some pictures and probably some info that'll help.

slabbatical
03-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Many on here say a small crank bait will get the big ones...I agree...Always throw out one baby rattle trap and that's the one that will pick up the bigun.

crappieseeker
03-10-2006, 09:37 PM
we caught these fish on 1/16 oz jig head in 11 to 14 feet of water on Woods Res. You dont have to be an expert to do it, this was my first real time trolling and i knew nothing about it and am no expert. We used curly tail grubs and just trolled back and forth over the same water. It was a channel that didnt really have much cover at all. I think they were staging there getting ready to move shallow. They looked like they were gonna explode they were full of eggs. Mighty, Woods is in TN probably an hour and a half drive from you. You basically just have to try different ways and depths and figure out what works.

crap-king
03-11-2006, 05:02 PM
nice