Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Presure treated or fiberglass resin?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Presure treated or fiberglass resin?

Thinking about flooring the jonboat. What works better, presure treated or fiberglass resin coated plywood? Treated wood would be easier but will it last as long? Other options would be helpful too. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Contrary to popular beleif, wood in boats or wooden boats will last forever. "IF" you take care of them. I fyou are going to keep it out in the weather, uncovered it will rot after a season or two. If you keep it under a shelter, it'll be fine. They make a ply that is used for signs. It has almost a paper backing, but it is designed to use as stated, a sign. It last a very long time outside. We put some on the top of a dog box for my cousins truck and wrapped in carpet. It has been there for five years with no sign of deteriation.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Before the treated was changed to ACQ, I refloored a boat with it. Made the stretchers with treated 2x and covered with 3/4 treated plywood. Then put on a layer of fiberglass and resin topped off with a coat of Speedliner Bed liner spray. The ACQ treated lumber is corrosive to some metals, aluminum included. You can find spruce lumber that has been treated with an alternate chemical bath. It will be clear instead of green.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumpers
    They make a ply that is used for signs. It has almost a paper backing, but it is designed to use as stated, a sign. It last a very long time outside. We put some on the top of a dog box for my cousins truck and wrapped in carpet. It has been there for five years with no sign of deteriation.
    It is called MDO plywood, I built a freestanding herb garden with it. It has been outside for 4 years now and looks fine.

Post Thanks / Like

So the new type of pt wood will corroid when in an alum boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sccamper
    So the new type of pt wood will corroid when in an alum boat?
    Yep. The coatings on galvinized fasteners and hangers had to be changed also. In wet climates the "new" treated would eat through a joist hanger in two years. Most metal products now have "ACQ safe" stamped on them and a lot of builders have went to SS fasteners just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I get MDO ply at Lowes or is harder to find?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if they stock it or not. Georgia Pacific, Diamond Hill and Willamete all produce it. If your Lowes doesn't stock it, go to a local building supply and order it, Lowes will jack the price for special orders where a local business is glad to serve you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank for the help. Ive got some reserch to do not really the time to down the boat.