Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: how long do crappie guard the bed during spawn?

Post Thanks / Like

Default how long do crappie guard the bed during spawn?

I am in Mississippi, but have a couple of questions about bedding white/black crappie. How long do the fish bed/ How long do they guard the nest? I fish primarily Grenada lake in Ms. It seems like I can catch them for a day or 2 in the same place, then on the 3rd day I start catching white river catfish in these same locations. Are these fish eating the spawn or the eggs?
    I generally leave the area when I start catching these catfish, because I only catch a few crappie when the catfish move in. It is like the crappie quit guarding the bed and have headed back to deep water. This might just be coincidence, but this has seemed to hold true for the last couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like

Chilly, good questions, for which I have no answer. Some of the guys who are more more up to spped on this than me will chime in. Should make for good discussion.

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    I am in Mississippi, but have a couple of questions about bedding white/black crappie. How long do the fish bed/ How long do they guard the nest? I fish primarily Grenada lake in Ms. It seems like I can catch them for a day or 2 in the same place, then on the 3rd day I start catching white river catfish in these same locations. Are these fish eating the spawn or the eggs?
    I generally leave the area when I start catching these catfish, because I only catch a few crappie when the catfish move in. It is like the crappie quit guarding the bed and have headed back to deep water. This might just be coincidence, but this has seemed to hold true for the last couple of years.
    Chilly,

How long the male will guard the nest is partially dependent on how long it takes a female to select his particular nest. Hatching usually occurs 4 or 5 days after fertilization and the fry remain attached to the nest for another couple of days before dispersing. Not all crappie will spawn at the exact same time so spawning can last a couple of weeks even though individuals likely will not guard this long.

Here in Kansas we sometimes see common carp move in to the spawning grounds of sportfish to feed upon the eggs. Walleye will work the bluegill spawn looking to pull a 'gill off of the nest. You may be something similar with your catfish looking for an easy meal.