Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Arkansas Rainbows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arkansas Rainbows

If anyone's looking for a change of pace while we try to figure out the white perch spawn, you might consider Arkansas' rainbow trout. Made a long day trip today to Hot Springs and Murfreesboro to fly fish. Landed 50 trout beneath Carpenter Dam in Hot Springs this morning and then 25 on the Little Missouri River at Murfreesboro this afternoon. They should keep biting through at least April. It only takes me about an hour longer to get there than it does to Saline Larto.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting! I didn't know that. I'll have to think about that. Thanks!
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto. Thanks for the info. I have been looking at a trout trip as a gift for my music director at church. He has fished for trout many times and I have never been. I want to take him trout fishing as a surprise for the good job he does for our church. This sounds like a very do-able trip. Tbone, do you know if there are any camping spots for my travel trailer in the places you mentioned? And, do I need a boat or is it better to fish from the bank?
    The Lord is good. His mercy and love endures forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Pastor, Catherine's Landing has camping spots, I believe, not too far from Carpenter Dam at Hot Springs. You can google it for directions. Crater of Diamonds State Park also has camping spots at Murfreesboro. At Murfreesboro, the Little Missouri River is pretty small and can easily be fished from the bank. But if you fly fish, you'll need some hip boots or waders to get out in it a bit so you can cast. If they're generating water for electricity, you'll have to stay on the bank, because there will be too much water. You can also fish from the bank at Carpenter Dam but a boat gives you more options. Same as at Murfreesboro about the water. If they're not generating water you can wade out and fly fish, but if they are generating you'll have to stay on the bank. Most people who fish for rainbows from the bank at both places use light rod and reels and fish bait on the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Tbone.
    The Lord is good. His mercy and love endures forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like alot of fun. Congrats on the catch
    You can't fish with a hung line!