Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: gobble gobble

Post Thanks / Like

Default gobble gobble

I've had hens all over me, but the gobblers won't come in. I started turkey hunting two season ago and this is my first season going at it alone. I'm using a box call right now, but just can't get big boy to come in. Any suggestions? I can get them to gobble with an owl call and a crow call, I have a hen decoy they I've set out a couple of times as well, but they just won't come in.

Post Thanks / Like

A few things to remember is that turkeys are like people "or maybe its the other way around!" Each Gobbler has a different personality and has different likes! You can call too much, too loud, too low, and then not enough! Hope your getting the point with turkey hunting. If your hunting public land that's whole dfferent ballgame to hunt turkeys....call less and get deeper in than others! If hunting private land dont push those turkeys and teach them all your bag of tricks. If he is with hens he is in Gbbler Heaven ight now and doesn't care to come back to earthfor you! The later our season here the more the hens will start setting and the greater your chance to ba that Ol Gobbler that has been hanging with the hens! One more thing...If you have hens all around you and you have figured out their pattern. Try and get between the hens and gobbler before ever calling and then don't over do it with the call...might want to change the call also! Good Luck and post us a pic of him when you get him!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you MePreach! I'm out of school this week for Spring Break and plan on hitting the woods a few more times. The hens that I've seen are just coming through the green fields feeding, but the gobblers aren't with them. I know the gobblers are close by, but you would think they would be where the hens are unless they already have a few boxed in the woods around the fields.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3 April turkey hunt

I'm getting closer to bagging my first turkey. Got busted by one early this a.m. and had jake gobble, but wouldn't cross the creek at the bottom of the holler. I've never heard a jake, but my friend who was calling for me swore that it was a jake trying to gobble. It didn't sound anything like a gobble. Never saw the bird, but could tell by the way he sounded that he was moving up and down the creek. Its only a matter of time before lady luck shines down on me and I get my first bird.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found the best thing to do for stubborn birds is to call enough to get them excited then go dead silent. Sometimes curiosity takes over. If you call too much you are just educating them. I take the approach of you have to check their temperature. I love calling in those two year olds. Seems like you can't go wrong with them.