Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Time line for new strcture producing crappie ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Time line for new strcture producing crappie ?

Could anyone tell me how long it takes for new structure to produce crappie ?

I am in Southern Illinois at a small private lake and the structure is PVC pipe.
    I painted it with flat black.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I can tell you that on some of my cane condos I have caught fish on them within 2 days. When I put the first set out that I had ever made was late friday evening. The next morning I went back and fished them catching just a couple. Know with you painting them I dont know if that would make any difference or not. I have never painted anything and used it. I have put out the condos, wood pallets, christmas trees and also dumped boat loads of big rocks. The condos and the rocks have been awesome. How long has it been since you dropped the PVC?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about PVC but there use to be this ole feller that took 10 or 12 2x4s with him fishing. He would drive them into the river bed and then commence to around them. If they didn't produce he would move them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

pvc usually takes longer because it takes a while for the algae to cling to it thus attracting bait and then larger predatory fish, if its the only structure in pond they might come sooner but usually takes a bit with pvc... next time ruff the outside up with sandpaper which makes the algae cling quicker and easier instead of painting it which prevents algae growth and depending on type of paint might also release toxins in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I just put them out yesterday so I figured it might take a while. I painted them flat black because a friend told me he read somewhere that algae grows on darker structure better. I used flat paint because the small pipes that act as lembs are actually small metal tubes which I could not rough up. It is my first try, and my friend and I are talkinf about using wood slats for our next one.

There are about 6 large trees dropped along the dam of the lake but there isnt any structure in the open water of the lake, so I wanted to put some out of reach from the bank since there is only a couple of us that fish it from a boat. I will post a thread when we find out what structure produces more and better slabs.

Thanks to all for your info.