Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What does a cold front do to fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What does a cold front do to fish?

last week and the week before the fish were biting like crazy, but this week the water dropped 4-5 degrees and a cold rain storm is moving in tonight, this evening i couldnt get a fish to bite, using same technique and location as before when i was catching them.
    my question is, did the fish move deeper? just stop biting? or both?
    at the end of the week it is supposed to be nice weather will they be back to their normal routine?
    im just curious what cold fronts do to the fish, and also a drop in water temp.

i was catching them at 12 feet in around 18 foot of water. off of brushpiles

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I caught my limit (20 Crappie) plus threw back several more in about 2 hours this afternoon. Cold fronts and east winds mean higher barometric pressure most of the time. This tends to make fish less aggressive. I usally fish deeper brush and close to the bottom here. Fish tight to the bottom and cover. Slow the presentation and make repeated casts or presentations to the same spot. You may have to pin point the fish on cover as they will usually not move far to strike in a netural or negative mood. This is my opinion anyways.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Yes

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes it will just shut their mouths and makes it hard to catch them. However usually just a couple days and they will be right back going at it. Now water changing is not a good thing most of the time and that can be drop in temp or for sure drop in water level will make them move out farther and if it doesn't stop soon enough they will stay out farther like they did here last year.

Change is things like this just makes them change.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

A major pressure difference always shuts my fishing down. But the days before fishing is typically at its best, I guess they know the weather is gonna change.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie are always biting someplace, somewhere. Just keep hunting them.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I totally believe Crappie Reaper in the spring watch the water temp. The fish will be one place one day and gone the next. Cold fronts usually push fish deeper and tighter to cover. Keep at them and be safe you will find some hungry ones somewhere..

Post Thanks / Like

they can move tighter to cover or move out completely. it depends on how hard the front hits ya. your already in "dep water" so, try tiny jigs tipped with half a minnow, in your spot. they wont chase bait under cold front conditions. imo motionless in their face is your best bet.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They were in lock mouth mode around the dock I fished yesterday. Will try a different bank today.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

We had the same thing happen here in MS. We located the fish again on the same stumps as the previous days, only differnce, they went from suspended 2-3 feet deep to 10 feet deep.