Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring new boat....oh no.....

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wiring new boat....oh no.....

New Bass Tracker has no bow provisions for wiring in any electronics stuff. I am going to run new wires and add a power distribution junction box in the bow. I will have to remove lots of panels to get the new wiring from bow to stern. These boat manufacturers need to take some lessons from electricians, ie.(run conduit and leave a "pull string" to add new wires). I am adding power plugs (cig adapter) plugs so that I can plug in gps, laptop, and sonar. Wow and oh no. Gotta cut holes in the new boat already..ha I am getting a few things done. Another thing, the tracker came with battery holders for 2 batteries aft. Had to relocate these so that I could add the third battery and my on board charger and the trolling motor circuit breader. It was a tight fit, but I got er done today. I got the batteries packed in (aft) and it looks pretty good.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Tom

I,m Putting My Money On You To Getter Done---and The Right Way Too Ha
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

keep after it Tom ,you will get er dun.sounds like you got it going your way
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you kept the gear shift out of old boat(Trolling motor). wouldn't be the same without it. Need to get it rigged asap as this week is getting us all in spring fever. Hope you catch a bunch

Post Thanks / Like

Tom that would make it so easy. And I'm betting that is the reason they do not put that in.
    Good luck.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Cane pole, can you use an existing wire to pull in your new wiring? I am an electrician. what we do, is attach a pull wire to a wire that is already there and pull it back to where we need to go. then you can use that wire to get it back where it goes and also pull in the new ones. Yes, it should be in conduit and would not cost the manufacturer very much to do it right. good luck
    jc

Post Thanks / Like

The lack of conduit to run wires and lack of access to the livewell plumbing are my only big complaints with the PC175. I would like to install lighter sockets in a few locations around the boat for portable lighting when night fishing, but have not done so because it is too much work to tear things down and run the wires properly. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if the plumbing needs work. As it stands right now, the floor must come out to work on it.

When I was installing the forward depthfinder/GPS I chose to run the wires under the gunnel. I used the stick on plastic conduit from home improvement stores to run the wires through. It was also a chore to find a suitable location for the surface mount GPS antenna. The screws must be installed from the bottom. Lowrance has a model this year that has a built-in antenna to eliminate that problem. As usual, I bought my LMS-332C a little too soon.

I was able to get a third battery along with an on-board charger installed in the aft compartment. The 24 volt trolling motor makes a huge difference in performance.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan_VA
    Lowrance has a model this year that has a built-in antenna to eliminate that problem. As usual, I bought my LMS-332C a little too soon.
    Maybe you didn't buy too soon. Many people are reporting the Lowrance with the built-in antenna only works well if it is mounted in an upright position. Bow mounting results in poor reception.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I am adding power plugs (cig adapter) plugs so that I can plug in gps, laptop, and sonar.
    I'm morally opposed to those 12V plugs like that. They just aren't very tolerant of being wet. They rust and start making bad connections. Drive me nuts.
    Buy the best you can find, stainless with a good seal.

Post Thanks / Like

Good post Tom, I know you can do it... When I done mine I used PVC threw-out. Good Luck

Fish Detective
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast