Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Terminology

Post Thanks / Like

Default Terminology

Treetops are treetops and laydowns the same?

How do you find these treetops?

Can someone explain to me and my other (freshmen) about locating and breaking down underwater structure?

Maybe yall seniors can take turns on different terms.

Thanx
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Definitions from Fishing Facts Magazine and Buck Perry (RIP) the father of modern structure fishing.

A steep drop off is called a breakline. Stumps or rocks that are on that breakline are referred to as "Breaks".

A tree is a tree is a tree. LOL A laydown is a tree that has fallen over into the water. If the tree is along a breakline you could also call it a Break on the breakline. Most fishermen will know what you are talking about these days.

Most of the time you have a hard time telling whats down there on the bottom unless you have an underwater camera or a sidescanning sonar unit.

What you look for is drop offs. Flooded Creek channels in reserviors often drop off quickly into deep parts of the creek from the old creek banks. River channels that run through the reservoir do the same thing.

Points along the main bank that drop off into the deeper water are also a form of a break line.

You can have Primary breaklines and secondary breaklines. Think about a reservoir that has different depths during the summer and winter. And then think about the wave actions along the shoreline in summer vs the winters shore line. The Summer time bank may be the first breakline and the winter time banks are the secondary breaklines.

A breakline's depth change is relative to the surrounding water. a small creek flowing though a flat can have a 2ft depth and the edge of that small ditch could be considered a breakline.

Or a large creek flowing though a 100,000 acre reservoir can also be considered a breakline.

Bends in a breakline such as a bend in the old submerged creek channel would be a special feature and would have an outside edge and and inside edge.

Weedlines can also be considered a breakline. Normally weeds will grow to a certain depth and then stop growing in deeper water. Due to the water clarity and the lack of sunlight in the depths. These weedlines are often associated with secondary breaklines in reservoirs.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty
    Treetops are treetops and laydowns the same?

How do you find these treetops?

Can someone explain to me and my other (freshmen) about locating and breaking down underwater structure?

Maybe yall seniors can take turns on different terms.

Thanx
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone call an exposed tree trunk or stump a "stob". My wife gives me fits about using the word stob since it isn't a true word, in her opinion. I've heard it all my life. Makes it a word in my book.---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

My dad and grandfather always used "stob". But, we only used the word for small sticks or branches poking out of the water like you would see in a stake bed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch
    Does anyone call an exposed tree trunk or stump a "stob". My wife gives me fits about using the word stob since it isn't a true word, in her opinion. I've heard it all my life. Makes it a word in my book.---Pooch
    Not a word? http://www.hyperdictionary.com/search.aspx?define=stob
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Don,t Know If Its A Word---but I,ve Used It All My Life--on The Other Hand I,ve Never Been Accused Of Being Real Smart---haha
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I use stob, or stick-up for small stumps or branches.

Post Thanks / Like

It must be a guy thing. My brother's girlfriend never heard of it, although all the guys I fished with routinely use it.

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up fishing stobs. don't hear it much here in TX. My dad is coming down from Missouri in a couple of weeks to fish Sam Rayburn with me and I'm sure that we will be fishing stobs a lot!
    Scott