Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tipping jigs with minnows???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tipping jigs with minnows???

Alright guys, this might sound dumb, but remember, I'm still a newbee at this. When searching for tips and techniques on fishing for crappie, I see all these people talking about "tipping there jigs with minnows"? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YA'LL ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!! :p Can someone please help me on this or possibably send me to a site that has a picture?? I keep hearing that this is an excellent way to catch crappie right now if you are slow drifting. Thanks guys....

Post Thanks / Like

Default minnow tiped jig

Just put a minnow on your jig the way you would a regular hook.
    It will look like a minnow trying to eat a jig.....
    This also works good when you are fishing tree tops that have fallen in the water, either on long pole or fishing under a cork.

Goodluck to ya.

Post Thanks / Like

Default tipping...

So you hook it through the bottom lip through the top of the head?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tipping

I hook mine through the eyes. They stay alive longer. Just put the minnow on with the jig. It works good with tube skirts and hair jigs. I also tip my jigs with crappie nibbles or meal worms. When crappie are a little bit picky this will sometimes trigger a hit.

Post Thanks / Like

TheKingfisher, This is one hot way to catch Crappies when the bite is slow... Good luck.

Fish Detective
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

I even use just a jig head sometimes with no skirt and hook the minnow from bottom lip thru the head. I especially like to do this with roadrunner heads. I catch my biggest fish doing this when they are biting good...smedley
    Scott

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation actually ....

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingfisher
    So you hook it through the bottom lip through the top of the head?

you want to be careful when putting a minnow on a jig/jighead. Put the hook point thru, under the throat at the V shaped folds of the minnows throat - then bring the hook point up thru between the nostrils. If you bring the hook point up thru the "head" (from between the eyes or farther back), you stand a chance of killing the minnow.
    If it doesn't matter if the minnow has complete freedom to wiggle around on the jig/jighead (like when you are casting or trolling with them) ... sometimes I even put the jig's hook point into the minnows mouth and bring it out behind the head. The minnow won't live quite as long, as when hooked thru the throat/nostrils, but they won't get slung off (casting) or knocked off (by gills or other sunfish).

Put the minnow on a weedless jighead, and you can drag it thru the timber without as much fear of hang-ups Use as small & light a jighead as you can get away with ... and you may even pick up a Bluegill or two. Just be a line watcher ... and if/when you see the line jump, suddenly go slack, or start to move off to the side -- lift the rod until you get slight tension & then snap the rod tip upwards !! ........... luck2ya ....... cp