Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Incubation period for Crappie eggs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Incubation period for Crappie eggs?

Wondering how long it takes for the eggs to hatch after being fertilized?
    Romans 6:23

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MO Slab View Post
    Wondering how long it takes for the eggs to hatch after being fertilized?
    The eggs will hatch 4 to 5 days after being fertilized. However, after wriggling free of their eggs the newly hatched crappie will remain attached to the nest substrate with a sticky substance for another couple of days before dispersing.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...that's fast,thanks
    Romans 6:23

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MO Slab View Post
    Wow...that's fast,thanks
    yeah faster than i thought hatch time and faster response time way to go craig

Post Thanks / Like

Well,,,, I have been told 3 to 7 days. I guess dat is close enough. Craig,,,, de bad news. How quick do de white perch hit de nest. If cover is not there, which predator fish does the most harm after the hatch? <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Chatt View Post
    Well,,,, I have been told 3 to 7 days. I guess dat is close enough. Craig,,,, de bad news. How quick do de white perch hit de nest. If cover is not there, which predator fish does the most harm after the hatch? <*)}}}><
    Chatt,

Since white perch feed upon eggs of other fishes, they basically prey upon the eggs as soon as the eggs are deposited by the female. Egg predation is one way that white perch have a direct negative impact on sportfish populations. I've seen white perch that had their stomachs FULL of walleye eggs at Cheney Reservoir during the walleye spawn.

What predator eats the most crappie after the hatch would probably be determined by the available predator densities in the particular lake. All predatory fish will feed upon smaller fish, no matter the species. Walleye eat young crappie and adult crappie eat young walleye. If smaller fish are in front of larger fish and the larger fish can catch them and eat them, then they probably will! Saugeye have proved successful in reducing overpopulated crappie densities through predation in some of our Kansas State Fishing Lakes and improving the quality of the crappie population. This however requires special management of the saugeye to reach and maintain densities at which increased predation will result. Again, the saugeye doesn't target only crappie but they will eat what is available and what is most easily caught.

In lakes where saugeye don't exist, largemouth bass may be the species responsible for providing the most predation upon crappie. Or it could be numerous other fishes. It just depends on what species share the lake with the crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by springhillwantabe View Post
    yeah faster than i thought hatch time and faster response time way to go craig
    springhillwantabe,

Some responses are quick, some not so much! My field season is really picking up so I hope to keep up with the posts!

Post Thanks / Like

As long as we're askin....how long do the bucks stick around the nest to guard after the females have deposited? And, am I correct that the females will go to mid water depths (5-9fow) to rest up and feed before heading to summer river patterns?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmydee1 View Post
    As long as we're askin....how long do the bucks stick around the nest to guard after the females have deposited? And, am I correct that the females will go to mid water depths (5-9fow) to rest up and feed before heading to summer river patterns?
    Males will stay on the nest until the fry disperse (6 to 8 days after fertilization).

Post spawn movements can be influenced by many factors and may vary from year to year within the same water body. Currently in Kansas some of our reservoirs are still very low and water temperatures are roughly a month behind normal. Post spawn movements this year will likely be quite different than a 'normal' year.