Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling motor - which one?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor - which one?

Have used foot controlled motors for years. Started looking at the Minn Kota Terrva's and it seems to be fine motor. The only problem is down here in south La. it seems you always have to lift the motor up with the rope to jump a limb or clean grass offf the prop.. Do ya'll think this motor would work in this terrian without having the rope on the mount to lift the motor? May swap over to it on new boat!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

If you could find a good used OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) ,because no longer produced. This is this best one ever made.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    If you could find a good used OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) ,because no longer produced. This is this best one ever made.
    I agree as for as a cable foot control TM.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you go out with someone that has one and use it first. The foot pedal works differently and if you are use the the cable type it may be hard to break old habits.

It is also a noisy bugger, I got rid of mine on account of the noise, servo operated turning is slow compared to cable and it is loud.

It has some good points and for many they far out way the negative. Just do your homework in advance of spending your money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flatwater View Post
    Make sure you go out with someone that has one and use it first. The foot pedal works differently and if you are use the the cable type it may be hard to break old habits.

It is also a noisy bugger, I got rid of mine on account of the noise, servo operated turning is slow compared to cable and it is loud.

It has some good points and for many they far out way the negative. Just do your homework in advance of spending your money.
    That must have been a defective motor. I can't even hear my 80lb Terrova running.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by majflyboy View Post
    That must have been a defective motor. I can't even hear my 80lb Terrova running.
    +1 Me either.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Get the bigest , bestest one you can afford.

Post Thanks / Like

I think mine sets up some harmonics in the hull at certain speeds. I can hear it, but it's not unbearable. I can bump the speed up or down one notch and it stops. Still not BAD, but I can hear it. Mentioning raising the TM up and running it, I can see that being a problem that I never thought of. That is awful handy at times. I guess I can always get the push pole out.