Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Saltwater anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saltwater anyone?

Hi all. I live in Ric but just bought a small 10' Kayak. I went little because I want to fish Diascund Creek below the lake and Chic river above the lake,falling creek, etc. I got to thinking about salt water. Are there any saltwater fish in creeks in NN, Williamsburg area that I can catch with artificials? Trout or whatever. I can go pretty much anywhere down 64 or towards West Point, etc. I am not fond of cut bait for the bream of the sea (croaker).Thumbs Up
    Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
    Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

No takers? PM Me if you don't want to broadcast your info. I will not share any info given to me. thanks.
    Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
    Mark Twain

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard much talk about salt water fish that far north. I would imagine that some could be had but people just don't target them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

There are probably some places you can go. I don't fish those types of areas so I can't help.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

I take my 15ft jon boat into Poquoson flats which is closest to you, Rudy inlet and the Fort Monroe side of the HRBT, (very calm). I catch croaker, flounder, specks, spot, bluefish and once in awhile small sea bass. Hard to catch keeper sea bass or flounder.

Its a little farther south but....

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the neighborhood LineC you must be stationed at LAFB. You are within minutes of keeper flatties , Cobia ,Striper ,Togs Yellow Bellies, Crokers, And Spade Fish. All within reach in your boat on a good day. If i can help give me a shout. Thumbs Up
    You Just Can't Fix Stupid !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Pondboy. There are plenty of places that you can fish. How far are you willing to travel and what kind of fish do you want to target? Will help you out if i can.

Post Thanks / Like

Anything that will hit artificial. A friend of mine is from Matthews and he was showing me some stuff on Google Earth. I was curious what lived in the creeks around Denby (Demby???), Gloucester and such. If I do Matthews, that is a planned trip. My saltwater in the bay has been limited to Croaker and Spot. I have access to an 18' Center Console if I have to. I have seen people catching trout out of grass and such on jigs and just thought that I had to be able to do that on the Bay somewhere in my Jon or Kayak.
    Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PondBoy View Post
    Anything that will hit artificial. A friend of mine is from Matthews and he was showing me some stuff on Google Earth. I was curious what lived in the creeks around Denby (Demby???), Gloucester and such. If I do Matthews, that is a planned trip. My saltwater in the bay has been limited to Croaker and Spot. I have access to an 18' Center Console if I have to. I have seen people catching trout out of grass and such on jigs and just thought that I had to be able to do that on the Bay somewhere in my Jon or Kayak.
    I think you mean Denbigh witch would make that Warwick River and James River Very salty. Dont now much about Glouchester.

Post Thanks / Like

Is very salty bad? I thought the more brackish you got the more croaker and such. I don't know. I figured the trout, drum would be further down.
    Mark Twain