Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How to color 2# test mono?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to color 2# test mono?

I use 2# test mono for my fishing. I cannot see it when I am retrieving my jig. Even though I caught 20 very nice Crappie yesterday I realized I should have had more. The cloud cover moved in early afternoon but as the evening wore on to around 4:30PM I could make out my line fairly well. I could now see why I was missing fish. I could now see the line move toward me as the fish was taking it to deeper water..which was in my direction. I set the hook and he was mine. Without seeing the line I would continue twitching the jig and if a fish was doing this by the time I felt him he had felt me and he was gone. I also caught two Crappie on the fall...but it was pure luck I set the hook. Had I been able to see the line I would have seen the line twitch or something. I was thinking to use a Sharpie in blaze orange and coloring the line every so many feet. Has anyone done this? Will the chemicals in the Sharpie damage or weaken the line? Or does someone have a better idea? My preferred line does not come in a hi-vis and I use it for Trout fishing also....but I do use a fluro leader for that. I really could use some ideas on this as the vision is certainly not getting any better.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Doubt it will damage the line. People used to color their braided line with Sharpies when color fixing was a major issue with braid. I don't know if the color would stick to the surface of mono, though. Slice a notch in the tip of the marker with an X-acto knife and draw the line through it.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Easier to buy a brand that makes colored line.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    Easier to buy a brand that makes colored line.
    X2 Vicious makes one in2# I believe.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Stren makes a 2lb Hi-Vis yellow. You have to look for it. Sometimes Cabela's has it. Also check on line. There are a lot of new ice fishing lines that have color to them, that can be used year around. I believe Vicious makes a tangerine color in 2lb. I just use 4lb. yellow stren & tie on a 2lb. flouro leader about 18 to 20 inches. I like the 4lb. to 2lb. leader very well. it's easier to handle & see for old eyes. I'm even using yellow hi-vis all the way down to the jig & still catch fish. I see Wally Crappie is even using yellow line tied direct. Maybe unless the water is crystal clear it might make a difference. The last couple of years I have been experimenting , & I haven't notice any difference in catch ratio.

Post Thanks / Like

The catch ratio does not bother me since I use the fluro leader when I do Trout fish. I have tried just about every brand of line made...although I have not tried Vicious...and the PLine CX Premium cast the 1/64th the best of any I have used and it stays limp, has virtually no memory. I will give Vicious a try and see how it works even though I have a couple of bulk spools of 3000 yard PLine CX Premium. I just need to see my line but if I can find one I can see that is as good as the PLine I will switch. Since I cast for Crappie casting distance to me means more coverage, which means more fish. Thanks for the info. Will let you know what I wind up doing and if I get a line I can see if my catch ratio goes up....it should.

Regards