PDA

View Full Version : summer crappie

mallardtone
03-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Just registered, and I have a question for you all. Do the crappie stay around the same cover in the summer than they do in the winter? Most of my fishing is done in the summer and I just don't seem to be able to find them as easy then as I do in the winter. I know there is more water available for them in the summer, but the structure is still there. Would appreciate any help or advice. Thanks.

crappie joe
03-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Summer crappie fishing for me is crack of dawn thing. I fish the outer trees close the deep water . I fish one tree at a time with a jig or minnow .I go to the bottom real up slow to the top and do this about three times around the tree, then move on to the next tree.

CrappiePappy
03-08-2006, 08:28 AM
for me ... is 0 dark thirty to around 11AM - casting jigs to laydowns on deep, shady banks. After that ... what Crappie Joe does, or what I call "Verticle Casting" to standing timber or the deep ends of laydowns. And, in days gone by ... it was night fishing under lantern light, with minnows -- known on this board as "nightstalking". Nowadays, though ... after 11ish, on my local Crappie lake, I'm usually putting the Crappie gear up and pulling out my trolling rod, and going after Hybrid Stripers & White Bass. :D Summertime nights are usually spent crankin or wormin for Bass, at night under a blacklight ;) ......... cp :cool:

speedy
03-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Try shooting docks. This for me is around sun-up to about 10:00a and I have caught what I want to keep by then. You can find them just about all day long if you want to stay with it. As the day get brighter just go to docks that are a little deeper. They can be anywhere from close to the bank to out in front of the dock. Use 1/32 or 1/64 oz jigs for shooting.