Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puzzled ????????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Puzzled ????????

Why do you catch a crappie with the jig in the lower lip upside down? It seems like the few days it happens you catch more than one this way.Joking about it ,I say they are swimming upside down,but really I do not know.Any Ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good question. To be honest with you I'm going to have to start paying more attention because sitting here I can't think of a time where I've ever hooked one in the bottom lip. Surely it's happened but I can't remember it for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

It happened at Otter creek last Weds.in all that wind,maybe they were grabbing it on the fall as I twitch it.We had 5 or 6 this way.

Post Thanks / Like

also everyone of them was hooked dead center of the bottom lip ,they sure won't come unhooked this way,hard part of the mouth.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had days were they whack it real hard and I will catch some in the bottom lip. It is a tough spot for sure when hooked there. I think they come at it so fast and kind of swat at it which will knock the jig side ways or upside down before they get it and we set the hook. I have found that when it is like that I will miss several fish in a days time even though they about take the rod out of your hand when they hit it. Seems more common in the summer when dipping but I guess when they are agressive in the spring would be the same.

Post Thanks / Like

as windy as it was that was about the only way you could tell you had a hit was knocking the rod out of your hands,but the bite was good so we did not leave.thanks for the input,it was just something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, I think they're comin up to the jig. When they hit it, the line slacks & the jig flips over. When they swim away with it, we feel it & set the hook right through the bottom lip. I think these are, indeed, agressive fish, & fishin deeper wouldn't help at all 'cause they'd catch it on the fall, with the same results. Is this happenin in a current, maybe? That might explain it also. How deep were ya fishin?

Post Thanks / Like

Last year while scubing for sunken treasure on Truman, I actually observed several fish being caught this way and it appeared they were just messing with the fisherman. Kinda of like a payback type of thing just to make us scratch our heads. If you guys wanta know about any other kind of weird stuff, just let me know.
    Team Double D - " We're not famous, but we should be."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double D View Post
    Last year while scubing for sunken treasure on Truman, I actually observed several fish being caught this way and it appeared they were just messing with the fisherman. Kinda of like a payback type of thing just to make us scratch our heads. If you guys wanta know about any other kind of weird stuff, just let me know.
    Hell YEAH. I for one am very interested. Are you serious?? I've just got this visual of you being down there messing with somebody hook. Actually know with a little more thought about this you must be kidding. If you were really observing this were you under a dock where they were fishing or something? Tell me/us more please.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, body used up and totally worn out screaming 'WOO~HOO what a ride!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiedave55 View Post
    Why do you catch a crappie with the jig in the lower lip upside down? It seems like the few days it happens you catch more than one this way.Joking about it ,I say they are swimming upside down,but really I do not know.Any Ideas.
    An old-timer once told me that when the fish are being caught in the lower lip, it's because the lake is turning over. :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast