Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Update on European Nightcrawlers

Sky Pilot is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Update on European Nightcrawlers

I moved what has survived of my EN to a new bin. Either they did not survive or the holes I had for air were to big and they escaped over time. I found about 10 worms out of the 1/4# that I started with. I am hoping that in a new environment they will flourish. I am going to keep up the other bin for a while to see if any new ones hatch or if I missed any.

Sky Pilot is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am still getting worms from the old bin and transferring them to the new one. the main difference in the new bin is the air holes. In the first bin, I used a ice pick to burn hole in the lid and side. After seeing the size of the baby worms crawling around, it makes me think they could go right through the holes I burned. On the new bin, I am using a very fine screen that I don't think they can get through. I am still feeding and "watering" the first bin and am finding more worms every week that I am putting in the new one. I am feeding them lettuce and potato peelings right now.

Post Thanks / Like

potatos peels do not work well in my vermicomposter. They always seem to take sprout and try to grow. once cooked they do not sprout though and make a fine food.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moswampy View Post
    potatos peels do not work well in my vermicomposter. They always seem to take sprout and try to grow. once cooked they do not sprout though and make a fine food.
    I've noticed the same. Would letting the potato peels dry out in the sun help, or would they sprout after water got to them in the compost? I can't say I like the idea of cooking for worms. Rofl
    Mississippi Crappie and Alabama football...Life is good.