Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Evers wins in florida

Post Thanks / Like

Default Evers wins in florida

EVERS WINS IN FLORIDA
    Doug Owens

Edwin Evers completed a comeback victory Sunday on the St. Johns River in Florida. Evers entered the final day of competition in 2nd place, but used a 19 pound bag, topped by a giant 8lb 13 oz "mule", to win by almost 3 pounds. It was Evers 6th career B.A.S.S. victory and 2nd Elite Series win. With the win also came an automatic berth in the 2012 Bassmaster Classic.

Edwin ended day 1 in 20th place with a good bag that weighed 16-8. He fished an area known as Lake George on day one, which he said "so did about 30 other competitors", including the leaders. Day one ended with Edwin 10 lbs behind the leader.

On day 2 Evers made what he said was the winning decision. " I prayed about it that night and decided to go to a totally different area on day 2. It paid off quickly, when he landed a 7-6 oz bass early that morning. Evers ended up weighing 22-5 on day 2 which moved him into 4th place. The leader after day 2 still had over a 10 lb. lead on Edwin.

Day 3 proved to be a critical day for closing the gap on the leader. The leader, Alton Jones, along with the numerous other competitors, had depleted the spawning bass in the Lake George area. Edwin was fishing an area that he pretty much had to himself and the bass were still there. Edwin weighed in 19-4 on day 3 and moved to second, but more important only 2 1/2 pounds behind the leader, Jones.

Edwin was confident he had enough fish in his area to win if he could get them to bite. The day 4 forecast called for a strong east wind which makes sight fishing hard to do. The ripple on the water makes it hard to see the fish sitting on their bed. Edwin was fishing some protected ponds and canals and it didn't affect him nearly as much. Just before noon Edwin caught what he described as "one of the most exciting catches of my career. " He had found this female on day 2 and could not get her to take his bait. Edwin caught the male bass and put him in the live well. He then spent over an hour enticing the female into biting. When she did bite, he set the hook on what he thought was a 7 pounder, but it turned out to be a 8lb13oz giant. With that fish anchoring his bag it was enough to pass Jones and hold off local pro Terry Scroggins for the win.

Evers said this had to be his most satisfying win. " Sight fishing is such a tough deal to win at, so many variables. With the water clarity, the tides moving in and out, and areas being shared. I am elated, Florida lakes have not been kind to me over the years. To come down here and win one tournament and finish in the top 25 in the other is just awesome. I am also qualified for the Classic which takes a burden off."

Evers leaves Florida not only with a win, but is in 4th place in the Angler of the Year standings. There are 6 more tournaments before the AOY is crowned and Evers states, " that is my goal, to win Angler of the Year."

With that kind of a start it looks like it is a definite possibility.

Doug Owens
    Odie
    Last edited by deerhunterodie; 03-22-2011 at 08:59 AM.
    Common sense isn't always that common!

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news! Met Edwin at the Grand lake tourn. a few years back. Nice guy. Hope he wins AOY!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

What is the purse for Edwin on a win like that?

Post Thanks / Like

$101,000

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunterodie View Post
    $101,000
    Odie, if thats all he made, I am shocked he doesn't spend all his time fishing for crappie with you! LOL
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

We do get out and crappie fish together a few days in the winter. I have to take him crappie fishing so I stand a chance to catch something. Every time I go bass fishing with him he catches about 10 to my 1.

Odie

Post Thanks / Like

That's a gutsy move and it payed off, congrats to Edwin. You can make up weight in a hurry down there on those Florida bass. You must have done a heap of prayin there Doug.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear. I root for the locals in the b.a.s.s tourneys. I hope he continues to do well and makes a good showing at the classic.