Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wind and Crappie on the Bed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wind and Crappie on the Bed

How does wind affect crappie that are on the bed? I went yesterday and caught a few early in the morning up shallow, but as soon as the wind started howling the bite shut off. I couldn't find them anywhere on the banks. I could see plenty of arches 12' deep over 20' of water that I feel were probably crappie. Does high winds cause crappie to leave the beds and head back deep until the winds slack off?
    Simple Life = Better Life

Post Thanks / Like

I was TOLD this and I took it to heart. "You dont like and neither do they." I always go to where the wind is not a factor if I can.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Some don't like daylight and will move off deeper, but close by around 9 in the morning and move back in at night. My guess is the bait fish have moved out deeper than they were. This type of pattern is common on Oologah, but can still find some in the shade or a cloudy day might keep them on their longer.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slab-in-the-box View Post
    How does wind affect crappie that are on the bed? I went yesterday and caught a few early in the morning up shallow, but as soon as the wind started howling the bite shut off. I couldn't find them anywhere on the banks. I could see plenty of arches 12' deep over 20' of water that I feel were probably crappie. Does high winds cause crappie to leave the beds and head back deep until the winds slack off?
    I think the optimum phrase, in your description, is "as soon as the wind started howling" !! The shallows get churned up from windborne waves ... and that can disturb the nest/eggs/fry, by discharging bottom debris &/or move the eggs/fry from the protection of the guarding male. I believe that the fish generally move back to the same general area, where they've spawned before, year after year ... so I doubt they'll give up on it, just from this one incident. I don't believe (male) Crappie will leave the beds, once eggs are deposited or fry are present, unless conditions deteriorate to the point of making it a threat to "their" safety. The females, on the other hand, are in & out over short periods of time ... picking the optimum conditions to deposit the eggs, retreating back to their holding area, then repeating the process (albeit in another males nest). Weather & water levels/temps dictate the length of time it takes for the whole spawning process to be completed ... which is why some spawns can last for several weeks.

Your job is to determine if the fish you found were simply feeding up for the spawn or searching nesting sites ... or actually engaged in the spawning process. If they were actually spawning, I'd definitely check back in that same area. I might even give it another shot, if I thought they were in the nesting site search mode. They were there for a reason ... and if it was a good enough reason, they will be back !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Spawning eggs need some wind to fertilize the eggs after the Male has deposited his sperm on them. They won't move that far away from the nestafter the eggs are laid. If you can see the fish on the bed than you can tell if they have spawned by watching their movements. You run a jig or minnow by the beds and the Crappie will turn and watch your jig as it get close. "The Male will usually just grab the jig and deposit it away from the nest if they are just making it. The Females will attack the jig if they are on the nest. They usually make their nest where the main winds can't get at them, or something close by to break up the main wind. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p