Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disclosing the body of water you are fishing when it is smaller sized.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disclosing the body of water you are fishing when it is smaller sized.

I've never been one to keep a whole lot to myself on this site and have shared plenty of good info but lately I've been wondering if I have been sharing too much. To make my case, right now at crappie.com there are 170 registered members online but also 706 guest which many refer to as lurkers. Granted there are those exploring the site for the first time that hopefully will join up and contribute but there are also those who only view the site to see what they can get out of it without ever contributing. I've been fishing a smaller reservoir (just over 700 acres) where the crappie fishing has been outstanding but seeing as there is only one ramp and one parking area it does not take much for the lot to fill up. I was even told recently by a friend that a gentleman at the ramp told him he was there because of threads that he had read from some TapOut guy posted on crappie.com. This in itself is not a bad thing but word about this body of water is really getting out and I'm probably the loudest voice. (I've got 7 crappie 15"+ in the last 11 months which is pretty good for this area) My thought was not to list where I fished but rather pm any regular contributing member that asks. Now, when I fish a large reservoir I won't hesitate to tell where I was, it's only because this reservoir is a smaller one with limited parking. Do I have the wrong attitude? Once again, I won't hesitate to tell any regular contributing members via pm.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

My self I fish a 115 acre lake....I share what I can, which isnt much at all...But if you feel aot of pressure at your spot I'd slow down telling stuff. I wished being a lurker you only got see a few things not that much..But to see more you have to join the site...

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you are saying Tap. A few years ago I had a spot that I never told anyone about. No one knew of it and I only found it by accident. I was fishing it and a young fellow came by and watched me catch a very nice walleye and he circled me a few times and then took off. A few weeks later I couldn't catch a fish off of it. I was at the ramp and this guy was putting in and asked if I had caught anything off that spot. He said him and a few buddies had been hitting it hard and it stopped putting out. He asked if I had any other spots like that. I told him ya and walked off. Now if I am catching a good fish and someone comes by I will lower my rod and won't fight the fish until the other boat is gone. I will even move away from my spot until they are gone and then move back on the spot. I usually don't mind sharing information but some people will sure take advantage of you. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean, also. I fish a small lake too and have told too much. I have started talking to more and more people on the water, and was surprised at how many look at crappie .com . I have asked a few why they have not joined, they say they might. But they dont miss nothing on this form! I have tighten up here lately , also. I dont mind giving some info, but I like to here some also!

Post Thanks / Like

Much easier said than done. I did exactly what you are saying last year, I gave up the exact depth, color, and jig head color and weight. Almost everyone slammed me for not giving up the body of water. I almost stopped posting anything.

Most of these lakes have limited parking and if you post up a whopper stringer of big fish, you can bet the next weekend it will be full with overflow parking. I do see some fisherman on all the lakes, some knows from years of experience which lakes turn on first and which ones later.
    They go from lake to lake following the spawn.

I spent 2 days 12 hours a day 2 years ago searching for bedded males, once found the females were just out in deep water. I trolled and cast a jig all day on the shore on the hunt. Now how did I feel when someone unknown pulls up 20 feet away and drops anchor right on the bed. Ended my day.

Back to the question at hand, giving up the location. Once folks know you, they know where you are fishing when you are fishing. If you post up a whopper they will follow u. I like to know the colors that work, the exact jig, the lead head size, I helps me pin them down. Lots of lures catch only fisherman!! BM is a hot place and it is going to be full in spring as will most lakes. If you post up a huge stringer you caught there it will surely be more crowded.

I do think some folks are only after big fish. They will just about go anywhere to find them. I have not fished kerr but I have heard stories of once someone slays them in a certain cove that area will be a parking not the next day.

I do see more crappie fisherman now than 3 years ago and I think it is on account of C.C It is sill hard to find good tackle in town. All must be mail ordered.

PS PM the water temp and I can do same, I know what to do with that alone.

Post Thanks / Like

I try to mostly just PM members here if I am going to give spots or specifics! I try to give as much info to members as possible and hope they will return the favor if I come to their lakes.
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with the PM statements. At least someone's making an attempt to at least know some of you. I fish a lot of smaller places, hence my avatar. That being said, if it's got more than two boat ramps, I don't mind sharing where I was at.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been burned more than once by "internet scouts". Waterfowl hunters are the worst! I'll give out all the GENERAL info I can to help somebody but the SPECIFIC info stays on PM to trusted sources. Paranoid? Maybe. Once burned---twice remembered.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Small or large I will pm any specific info. Not that I am some great slabslayer but like to keep minimum disclosure of fishing spots I do have. And since anyone can read the posts on the open forum I send pm's. As mrdux says internet scouts that add nothing but numbers to site traffic ain't gettin specifics.

Post Thanks / Like

Tap I agree with what you are saying, the parking situation is a lot more annoying to me than the number of fishermen on a given body of water. BM is large compared to most lakes I fish over this way, I doubt the weekend fishing pressure will deplete it, but, can certainly make it less pleasurable to fish when it is crowded. As for the number or "lurkers", a good many of them may actually be members such as I, just taking a quick look at the site without signing in, I had to sign in to post this reply.
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast