Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Worm bed?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worm bed?

I was wanting to build a worm bed out of a deep freezer. Do any of you have pictures of any? How would I set the deep freeze up?

Post Thanks / Like

me too josh.

Post Thanks / Like

You will probably be growing redworms. I don't think you can really farm crawlers. Redworms are not dirt dwelling worms. They mostly like horse manure, and you can grow them at home by feeding them kitchen scraps (no meat or dairy). Their poop is considered one of the best fertilzers.

There are tons of web sites about how to grow them and where to buy starter worms. If you have access to a horse manure pile you may be able to get all the starter worms you need.

Here are some sites with info about getting started.

Getting Started

Vermicomposting: Journey to Forever organic garden

I am growing worms in my cellar where it's pretty cool year-round. I've had them for about two months, and they seem to be doing well. Once they've been there three months I will need to start a new batch because their castings are toxic to the worms.

Good luck with your worm farm.
    Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes...oh well, it was a nice day at the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I've also been growing red wigglers for a few months in a small cooler. I use mostly shredded paper. I keep 'em in the closet where my hot water heater is in the garage because of the sustained temp. and the humidity. They are doing great! Just sprinkle a little bit of corn meal on top every week or so and cover with wet news paper or a rag.

You might be supprised as to how little room you need for them. The cooler I am using is no more than a gallon and I have over 1,000 worms in there. Just remember to keep it moist and to add as many vents as possible. Like a few pieces of pvc pipe the hight of the freezer with as many holes as possible. Goodluck!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot of worms in a gallon cooler. I don't understand about the pieces of pvc pipe, though. Are you running pvc pipes out the bottom of the cooler as vents?
    Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes...oh well, it was a nice day at the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the pipe is glued into a hole on the bottom of the cooler and goes all the way upto the top.

Post Thanks / Like

Picture please.
    I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---WHEN I CAN FISH AND CATCH:D