Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Auto/Manual inflatable life jacket ?

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Auto/Manual inflatable life jacket ?

Doh I have a auto/manual inflatable life jacket that i left in my storage compartment in my aluminum boat. Your guessed it, it went off from the moisture. I have to re-arm it, and was wondering if I can Bi-pass the auto part and only make it a manual jacket?? Anyone have and answer? The re-arm kit comes with a canister, bobbin and green indicator.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have one but have been contemplating getting one, so forgive the question if it is way off but. I thought they were set off by the pressure change of being submerged not just moisture alone?

Post Thanks / Like

The hydrostatic sets off by water pressure, the others have a tab like an alka seltzer in them holding back the pin.
    I got the hydrostatic just for the reason that barrelslime talked about. To answer your question I would contact the manufactor and see if they make just a manual re arm kit
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barrelslime View Post
    Doh I have a auto/manual inflatable life jacket that i left in my storage compartment in my aluminum boat. Your guessed it, it went off from the moisture. I have to re-arm it, and was wondering if I can Bi-pass the auto part and only make it a manual jacket?? Anyone have and answer? The re-arm kit comes with a canister, bobbin and green indicator.

Depends. Is your life worth more than the cost of a re-arming kit? There are too many common situations that can put you in the water without being able to inflate a jacket: heart attack or other medical issue, shock from cold water, water impact from ejection from the boat, unconcious from being hit by another boat, etc., etc..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo13 View Post
    The hydrostatic sets off by water pressure, the others have a tab like an alka seltzer in them holding back the pin.
    I got the hydrostatic just for the reason that barrelslime talked about. To answer your question I would contact the manufactor and see if they make just a manual re arm kit
    O.K., so there is 2 different types of auto arming? I gotcha. Thanks

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Depends. Is your life worth more than the cost of a re-arming kit? There are too many common situations that can put you in the water without being able to inflate a jacket: heart attack or other medical issue, shock from cold water, water impact from ejection from the boat, unconcious from being hit by another boat, etc., etc..
    $ has nothing to do with it, so dont play the "Is your life worth it" card. In my aluminim boat the storage compartments sweat and these jacket will continue to dis-arm. If nothing else just say "Great job for having life jackets in your boat and wearing them". Every time I forget to take them out they deploy, and thats another 20.00. I just want to know if there is a way to make them manual, and not Auto....................
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

If you wear it while fishing in the rain you will want a manual inflation. To help you out we really need to know what jacket you have. (The hydrostatic ones are nice but rather expensive.) My Mustang jacket takes me a couple of minutes to change it over to a manual.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one which one of our beloved Kentucky members now has. It was automatic with a manual cord too. It would have been very simple to leave that tablet out and disable the auto function. Sorry I can't remember the brand but I bought it at BPS.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the SOSpender brand PFD. It uses the tablet that dissolves when it get wet. There is a kit that will turn it into a manual type vest. Just not sure where you can buy one though. One came with my vest when I bought it.

I left mine out in my garage during the summer. I always make it a habit to remove the CO2 cartridge. One day when I was getting ready to screw the cartridge I happened to look down where it screws in. There was the piercing pin sticking up. I now make sure I store my PFD in the house where the environment is better controlled.

For rain to set it off you'd have to be in one real toad strangler of a rain storm. But just in case I keep a rain coat on board just in case.
    “No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!”

Post Thanks / Like

yeah its something that definetly can save your life
    fishing from the couch in front of the tv doesnt count