Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What would you do?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you do?

I have a couple scenario's I was hoping someone could enlighten me with what you would do.

Your spider-rigging and find the fish holding 8 to 9 feet deep on a drop-off, catching fish isn't a problem but most are running small only 9" with an occasional 11" fish. The lake you fish in isn't known for monster's but has a respectable population of fish up to 14" long. What things could you do to help you locate bigger fish?

The second scenario deals with wind......your on the lake early, it's pre-spawn, and your catching some nice fish. The wind slowly increases and becomes strong, the bite tapers off and soon you can't buy one. Has anyone experienced this before.

These are just two situations that I've witnessed in the past that I still scratch my head about. Appreciate any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you can probably guess what I'm gonna say :D
    troll cranks. Biguns like 'em, and wind is not much problem, long
    as the boat don't sink. Sometimes when it's real bad, big rollers,
    the fish go to flopping as they crest a wave and the hooks pull out.
    When faced with this, I try to put the rod tip in the water and ease them
    in, keep 'em from surfacing, but it doesn't always work.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

1st scenerio- If I'm catching smaller fish consistantly, usually I can move to another location using the same techniques and find bigger fish. You may be in a school that is simply holding small fish.
    2nd scenerio- You said you were on the lake early if so it may not have been the wind at all, just the window of opportunity narrowed. Or if I am spider rigging, especially now with the weather patterns being irratic, they may want the bait to be almost motionless. When the wind pics up, the baits maybe moving a little or a lot more than they are wanting. Try finding a wind break and fishing the same way. Also what J White suggested is also a great option.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

I am with Stumpbuster on scenario 1, I have been in places that hold small fish, and others that hold large fish, try a different area with the same conditions.
    Scenario 2 I would say that they are just done feeding for the time being, just stay on them, or move to another area.

Post Thanks / Like

1st scenario... I would try and fish a little deeper (thinking maybe some big ones below the small ones ??) and maybe even try larger jigs/minnows and see if it helps. Then if that doesn't help, I'd try a diff place.
    2nd scenario..if wind gets up and fish quit, again try diff location or go in and get 'em next time.
    Just my opinion...