Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Northeast Bluegills

Post Thanks / Like

Default Northeast Bluegills

Any body out there from the northeast able to tell me when Bluegills begin to spawn.I am from northeast pa and would like to start panfishing this spring but don't want to keep any gills that maybe on beds.
    tioga

Post Thanks / Like

Water around 60*.....?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Northeast bluegills (lee s.)

lee s.
    Thanks for the reply,I'll be keeping an eye on the water temps.New to this game of panfish,usually hunt bass and trout.Sure is a beautiful day out there today,hopefully ice out will come quickly.
    tioga

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Tioga ...

I was always under the impression that Bluegill & the other sunfish didn't start spawning until water temps exceeded 65deg. I think the range is something like 65-80deg ... depending on species, area, conditions, etc.
    I was also under the impression that Bluegill, especially, spawned around the Full Moon of each month that those water temps were maintained.
    I wouldn't worry about taking them off the spawning beds ... you aren't going to get ALL of them, at least not from any sizable waters. And as prolific as they are ... reducing the population only enhances the chances of the remaining fish, to grow bigger. Predation from anglers isn't usually as hard on a population as predation by other fish species, like Bass or Pike. But, if the waters have other baitfish available, like members of the Shad/Shiner families, then sunfish are less likely to be preyed upon, in favor of these soft-rayed baitfish. That's where angler predation makes up the difference ... and keeps the numbers down & size up .......... luck2ya ...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Northeast bluegills(crappiepappy)

hey crappypappy
    Thanks for the info,guess I'll be watching the water temps.Kind of new to the panfish game,use to catch them by accident when bass fishing,and than last summer a friend had me out fly fishing for bluegill and I had a blast.Been tellin alot of people about this site and how much info is on it,I am so hooked just hope the employer doesn't start tracking internet use or I am going to have a bad case of withdrawls or alot of fishin time,which the better half will kill me for.
    tioga

Post Thanks / Like

I dont start seeing bedding activity until the water is close to the high 60's or low 70 depending on the other factors. As far as bedding bream...just have more bait...or jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of studies out there proving that if you return the largest bluegill type males for the water you are fishing, you'll only maintain or improve the overall size of the fish. Males control the size. Mike