HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Record Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Virginia's Biggest Crappie

Virginia's Biggest Crappie

Crappie 4 lbs 10 oz Private Pond 04-24-1994 Justin Elliott

Picture
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

FISH4DUG Guest

Default World Record Crappie

Just Wondering What The World Record Crappie Is I Would Guess It Is A Black.i Live In Kansas And We Catch Some Big Slabs.our State Record Is 171/2 Inch 4 1/4 Lbs. For The White, For The Black It Is A Whopping 22 Inch 4.10 Lbs. Kinda Of Wondering Do Blacks Get Bigger Than Whites Everwhere ? Whats The Biggest Crappie Ever ? Any Help Will Be Appriciated. Fish4dug

Post Thanks / Like

World record White Crappie was caught at Enid Lake, MS on July 31, 1957. 5 LBS 3 Ounces. Mississippi record Black Crappie was caught at Arkabutla 3-19-91 it weighed 4 pounds 4 ounces.

FISH4DUG Guest

Quote Originally Posted by freeflow_23
    Virginia's Biggest Crappie

Crappie 4 lbs 10 oz Private Pond 04-24-1994 Justin Elliott

Picture
    WOW NICE FISH, DID YOU CATCH IT ? FISH4DUG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4DUG
    WOW NICE FISH, DID YOU CATCH IT ? FISH4DUG
    No. I pulled that off the VA Game & Fish website.
    I sure wish it was though. Maybe one day. :rolleyes:
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

There is a 6 lb.plus crappie listed in Louisiana. It was caught in Westwego Canal, near New Orleans. I don't know why it's not listed as a world record. Perhaps the method used to catch it.---Pooch

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't think record fish from private ponds should be recognized. There is something about it that doesn't sound right, or should I say there is something fishy about it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch
    There is a 6 lb.plus crappie listed in Louisiana. It was caught in Westwego Canal, near New Orleans. I don't know why it's not listed as a world record. Perhaps the method used to catch it.---Pooch
    I read something to the the fact that the fish was not weighed on a certified scale, and that the proper protocol for registering the record was not followed either.

From what I understand from reading, White Crappie tend to become larger(heavier) than Black Crappie. It has been my experience that more of the Black Crappie become wider and thicker than the Whites in relation to their lengths.

My goal is to one day put a 4lb fish on the wall. I hope I live to see that day!
    <,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation IGFA World Record Crappies ..... ?

According to a site that supposedly quotes the IGFA listing - World Record weights for Crappie caught on Rod & Reel are .......
    White Crappie = 5lb 3oz --- Black Crappie = 5lb 1oz

I could not verify the 5lb 1oz Black Crappie (you have to be a paying member of IGFA to look up specific records) listed on this particular site ... but I can find two 5lb 0oz Black Crappie State Records, listed on Hotspotfishing.com - one from South Carolina and one from Minnesota. The SC record is from 1957 and the Minnesota record is from 1940.

I've seen "world record" Crappie listed on different websites, that range from 4.5lbs to 6lbs ... but if the listing isn't dated - it's hard to tell which one is the latest listing. It also depends on whether or not the "record" fish was registered with the IGFA or just a state organization.

Anyway you look at it - a 5lb Crappie is a MONSTER !! ...LOL!! Most state records seem to run in the 4lb plus range ... and some states list both species (Black and White Crappie) as just "Crappie" - lumping them both together.

I'm still looking to break the 3lb mark ...LOL!!

Here's an interesting read about the two species of Crappie ... general info, ranges, habits, etc. (but it refers to the "World Record" Black Crappie as the 4lb 8oz fish caught in Kerr Res. VA in 1981) --

http://www.thecontentwell.com/Fish_G.../Crappies.html

........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ohio Crappie

I just grabbed something I had handy, so don't know if these numbers still stand:

Black crappie - 18.125", 4 lbs.,8 oz

White crappie - 18.5"; 3.904 ;lbs.

These are BIG crappie for northern waters. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast