Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Farm pond crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Post Farm pond crappie

Fishing farm ponds in Central Illinois proves to be rewarding in both size and numbers. I can fish using small to medium shiners and occasionally jigs (although i prefer not to), and walk away with hefty bluegills or crappie. Last year for instance i caught 3 of the biggest crappie i've ever caught, 1 lb, 1 lb, 2 lb 4 oz. My question to anyone who will answer, i can fish the hell out of a pond but when becomes more than a pond, where do you locate these size of fish?

Nate
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff
    Tracker Marine Pro Staff
    www.nathankincade.com

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

There are posts on the main board that can help you with crappie location on bigger lakes.
    I might add that interstate ponds are fine fishing for crappie also.

Post Thanks / Like

ponds are obviously a lot easier because you can cover the whole place and find the fish. the big resevoirs can be intimidating, but what i tell everyone is jsut view it as a whole bunch of little ponds connected. take lake of the ozarks, some coves are better than others and you will learn that in time, but find a cove put up an imaginary wall at the mouth of it and fish it like a pond, look for structure and steep dropoffs, etc.. try looking at it that way and see if it helps.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

thanks fryguy and redtick. Good advice.
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff
    Tracker Marine Pro Staff
    www.nathankincade.com