Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wanna try fly fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wanna try fly fishing?

Prime time for "bluegill on the fly" is rapidly approaching, and I noticed this Redington outfit at Cabela's for under $50.

Cabela's: Redington™ Crosswater Outfit

If you ever thought about trying fly fishing for gills, that outfit would be great -- comes with rod, reel, line and leader. Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

What a fantastic combo. That company has been making rods for a long time and was a leader in the short rod revolution in the 60's. It also has free shipping and is selling less than 50% off on the sale. I am surprised that there isn't more comments about it.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

ROTO VISE DEALER

Post Thanks / Like

if you get into fly fishing it gonna be hard to put the fly rod down

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DB4D -
    I didn't think folks from Atlanta knew what a mullet was...
    Oh, do you mean the haircut? I didn't think anyone who had one of those was man enough to use braid!
    Now you take Borgwat. I knew lots of girls in the oil patch who wore their hair like his, but he was tough enough to do anything that Mary would let him do! Besides, anyone from north Georgia who came to the Delta to hunt ducks - and then came down to do it again! - deserves to wear his hair anyway he wants to!
    Hope the world is treating you well.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    Hey DB4D -
    I didn't think folks from Atlanta knew what a mullet was...
    Oh, do you mean the haircut? I didn't think anyone who had one of those was man enough to use braid!
    Now you take Borgwat. I knew lots of girls in the oil patch who wore their hair like his, but he was tough enough to do anything that Mary would let him do! Besides, anyone from north Georgia who came to the Delta to hunt ducks - and then came down to do it again! - deserves to wear his hair anyway he wants to!
    Hope the world is treating you well.
    Pete
    The world is making me work and not letting me fish! That will change soon, though.

How's the redfishing this year? Did the oil spill hurt it much?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    The world is making me work and not letting me fish! That will change soon, though.

How's the redfishing this year? Did the oil spill hurt it much?
    No evident effects of the blowout this far west. We had good redfishing through November and then in January, then things slowed down, mainly because of things other than normal fishing adversities (temporary back-down ramp closures, bridge closures, and the like).
    Now we are in an extended period of blustry 360-degree winds - can't even fish for bluegills and gogs from my canoe! I'd go creek-fishing, but I've driven I-49 too many times already this past month. Guess I'll entertain myself by posting lies on my website (Have you checked it out? LA Fly Guy).
    Anyway, my sisters met me in Shreveport last Monday, and on the way there one of them almost got whupped in Atlanta by that weather. Bad dookie - hope it didn't hurt you any.
    Pass a good week, cher.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    (Have you checked it out? LA Fly Guy).
    Yeah, looks great! See post #4 here:

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fly-f...0-fly-guy.html

Whoops! Looks like you updated the page, and the pic I was referring to is gone. Anyway, I thought I saw you with what looked like a Sage Largemouth rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Yeah, looks great! See post #4 here:

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fly-f...0-fly-guy.html

Whoops! Looks like you updated the page, and the pic I was referring to is gone. Anyway, I thought I saw you with what looked like a Sage Largemouth rod.
    A "Smallmouth". Thought it would be the ultimate stick for short-range work pitching big poppers in cypresses, and it does well there. But the line that Sage sends with it equals a 10-weight, and I simply ain't fishing for bass with a 10-weight outfit.
    So I took it redfishing, found it worked decently with a 9-weight line while prospecting the grass shorelines, caught several nice ones, and in the process discovered the rod has no ass! A real wuss!
    So I bought a "Bluegill" for my bass-fishing, put the line it came with (About an 8-weight) on the "Smallmouth", and loaded the "Bluegill" up with a 6-weight bass taper. Actually, the "Bluegill" did just fine with the line it came with, but who wants to fish for 'gills with an 8-weight outfit?
    Whatever, if none of this works I'll put the designated lines back on the intended rods and try to sell them both!
    Appreciate the positive comments on the site.
    Pete