Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: longer fishing rod question

Post Thanks / Like

Default longer fishing rod question

all my panfishing experience has been with under 6 foot long fishing rods. what are the benefits and maybe different fishing techniques are there for longer fishing rods say in the 7 foot range. i can only use one fishing rod at a time in my state.

Post Thanks / Like

You can cast farther with a longer rod. You also move more line on the hook set. Another bonus is that a longer rod gives the fish more leverage, so you get a better fight with the longer rod. Also, I prefer a fixed float to a slip float, and I can set my fixed float rigs at 9 or 10' deep and cast them easily with my 12' rods.

I use short rods in certain situations but, for playing fish, I'd choose my 12-footers every time. Seven to eight foot rods are great for casting jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use a 7-9ft rod if I'm using a slip bobber and a jig....allows me to not worry as much about how much slack I have in my line during hookset....long rod allows you to really get a good hook set.
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    You can cast farther with a longer rod. You also move more line on the hook set. Another bonus is that a longer rod gives the fish more leverage, so you get a better fight with the longer rod. Also, I prefer a fixed float to a slip float, and I can set my fixed float rigs at 9 or 10' deep and cast them easily with my 12' rods.

I use short rods in certain situations but, for playing fish, I'd choose my 12-footers every time. Seven to eight foot rods are great for casting jigs.
    x1

Post Thanks / Like

You can cast a jig a lot farther with a 7' compared to a 6'. Amazing how much difference it makes.
    J

Post Thanks / Like

Use both, depends on the the application. prefer the short Rods as i throw jigs
    around docks most of the time and feel like i get a quicker hookset with them.
    My Part-ner uses the long Rods and loves them.
    We both catch fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer my little 5 1/2 footer for casting jigs into brush piles, don't need the extra distance since everything is verical. But when I use the slip bobbers I like a 7 footer, it helps pick up the line off the water for a better hook set.

Post Thanks / Like

One problem I have found with the longer rods, 8'+, is that when you catch one, you have a lot of rod to deal with in trying to get the fish off the hook. Just my experience.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    One problem I have found with the longer rods, 8'+, is that when you catch one, you have a lot of rod to deal with in trying to get the fish off the hook. Just my experience.
    I've found that if I just don't reel up so much line and leave at least a rod length of line out to take the fish off and recheck my bait this is really not a big problem. Certainly, I don't know if this applies to you, but I've seen a lot of people wind the line up to 3 or 4 feet from the tip and then have problems dealing with the longer rod. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Use 10,11,12 foot rods vertical jigging break lines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast