Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Deed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Deed

Not looking for a pat on the back here, but the more people i meet from here, i know you would have done the same. Well, Sunday i decided to lay out of work. I went down to Normandy Lake by myself,(My son was at the ex's). Anyways i got there really late for me. I guess it was around nine when i finally got the boat in. Went up lake and fished hard for three hours. Used minnows, used jig, hell yes jigs, bows head because i am ashamed, used nibbles, used everything except TNT. Caught nine total and had to work hard for them. Oh, caught a guessitmated THUG at 8 or 9 lbs. that broke my freaking rod because i wasn't paying attention. That is my fault. Anyways, went back to the ramp, got the boat out, strapped it down. While i was going over my checklist, you know, key out, plus out, straps tight, tackle box out etc., i see this really old man alone trying to put his boat in the water. He had a snap hook on his bow mount and a long rope tied to his trailer. When he backed the boat in the water, the rope came undone from the trailer and here went the boat. I thought, well sh*t. Came running, that is rare for me, down the ramp, to grab the boat. Well, anyways, i caught the boat. In the mean time, lost a pack of cigarettes, big loss to me, got my truck remote wet, got my wallet wet and most importantly, ruined my cell phone which was in my pocket also. I sure hope that the fellow appreciated it because, the wallet is fine, the truck keys are fine but my phone is fried. Two things i promise you will find in my pockets at any given time is cigarettes and my phone. Now phoneless since sunday because i am waiting on the Verizon people to replace it even though i have insurance. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? Word is that my deductable is fifty dollars. Still , i know i would do it again. He must have been a crappie fishermen.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like my luck! Except, I would have fallen in the lake. Pulled two muscles and broke a bone while on this fishing vacation out of state and by myself. Let the insurance lapse on my cell phone yesterday with a new contract. Then I would have been mad as heck when the guy complained about something or was unappreciative. Even worse yet, he could have been a green carp fishermen! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy
    Not looking for a pat on the back here, but the more people i meet from here, i know you would have done the same. Well, Sunday i decided to lay out of work. I went down to Normandy Lake by myself,(My son was at the ex's). Anyways i got there really late for me. I guess it was around nine when i finally got the boat in. Went up lake and fished hard for three hours. Used minnows, used jig, hell yes jigs, bows head because i am ashamed, used nibbles, used everything except TNT. Caught nine total and had to work hard for them. Oh, caught a guessitmated THUG at 8 or 9 lbs. that broke my freaking rod because i wasn't paying attention. That is my fault. Anyways, went back to the ramp, got the boat out, strapped it down. While i was going over my checklist, you know, key out, plus out, straps tight, tackle box out etc., i see this really old man alone trying to put his boat in the water. He had a snap hook on his bow mount and a long rope tied to his trailer. When he backed the boat in the water, the rope came undone from the trailer and here went the boat. I thought, well sh*t. Came running, that is rare for me, down the ramp, to grab the boat. Well, anyways, i caught the boat. In the mean time, lost a pack of cigarettes, big loss to me, got my truck remote wet, got my wallet wet and most importantly, ruined my cell phone which was in my pocket also. I sure hope that the fellow appreciated it because, the wallet is fine, the truck keys are fine but my phone is fried. Two things i promise you will find in my pockets at any given time is cigarettes and my phone. Now phoneless since sunday because i am waiting on the Verizon people to replace it even though i have insurance. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? Word is that my deductable is fifty dollars. Still , i know i would do it again. He must have been a crappie fishermen.

Post Thanks / Like

fatboy
    right after i retired 3 1/2 years ago my wife bought me a cell phone cause i spent so much time on the lake alone. she paid about a hundred bucks for it. I dint really care that much for it, as i go fishing to excape the world and dont want the world bothering me when im excaping. anyway i carried the phone in my shirt pocket that day and when i drove the boat on the trailer, leaned over the front to snap the tie hook on, the phone dropped in the water. had it less than a week. took it back to sbell phone office and had to buy another one just like it so the wife wouldnt know id ruined it. several days later went fishing again. caught a fish and leaned over the side to wash my hands and there went my second phone. in two days fishing within a week i had dropped two one hundred dollar phones over the side. Im on my third phone now however when i do think to take a cell with me, i put it in a dry secure place.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank God! I'm not alone in this world.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine dropped his cell phone in the water that his wife "girlfriend at the time" got him for a gift. He tried for 15 minutes to retrieve it with no success, then gave up and started fishing. We fished for an hour or so when he decided to try again to find the cell phone. The water was around 3 feet deep and muddy, but after a few minutes, he found it. The best part of the story is, he took it home and dried it out, and yes it still worked. I dont know how, but it did. I guess thats one reason she is his wife now lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually take my phone and place it in tackle bag. One time I was fishing a tournament and had forgotten to take phone off belt clip. Was in another fellows boat and got a bite as I reached down to pick fish up in went my phone. When i got home called verizon to have number put on vacation because at that time I could not afford another phone and did not have insurance. The operator I got looked up my record and said he could authorize $99.00 rebate for an upgrade. I did not think i had been on line long enough to get upgrade. When i went ot local verizon store. The verizon operator told her that it was a mistake should not have been offered the rebate. That was not good thing to tell local rep. She talked to a supervisor and get me a new phone that wound up costing me $25.00.

Need to say I always deal with that particular rep when ever I'm ready to upgrade. Also now carry insurance had 18 month old phone go bad. Was worth the $50. deductible. Had new phone in less than 24 hours.

FATBOY
    That was nice of you and sure you will be rewarded some time some place when you least expect it.

Ranger375
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Had beltclip dude!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cell phones

I have fried and lost and destroyed so many cell phones, I think they hate me... My job requires me to carry one 24/7. I lead a pretty active life outside my regular job. I've dropped one in the edge of a lake (fried when hit the water). One came off my waist (using clip) while hurdling a mud puddle during a downpour (later found it in middle of deepest part - fried when it hit the water). I ran over one with my 24 ton excavator (mashed it in the soft dirt and scratched it up, but still worked). A few months later, it quit and they claimed it had gotten wet (I still don't know how that happened as it was working when I put it inside my 4-runner cab). Insurance took care of that one though ($50 deduct). The replacement phone came up missing after taking out trees with the same excavator. After a lot of hunting, my best guess was that it was under about 4 feet of dirt somewhere. Another $50 deduct and they cancelled my insurance. The next replacement phone fell out of my carrier as I ran to my car in the rain. I got to the dentist appointment, realized I didn't have my phone, said be back in 15 and drove back to the office. Found it in the middle of the heavily travelled gravel driveway in rain. I immediately shut it off, went back to the dentist, came back to the office, took my phone part as far as I thought safe, and let it dry for about 24 hours. Still works fine. I have nearly 500 phone numbers in it. Don't even want to think about losing it again...

Good deed! Some of us will be old some day and we'll appreciate people who catch our boats for us. Heck... Some of us don't even have to be old to lose their boats!

Post Thanks / Like

howdy; drying them out is the best way to go. if you need it in a hurry, try setting it about 3 1/2 ft. in front of one of those little heaters with a fan in it. set it on low and in FRONT of the heater. when we were trying to see how much we could salvege of the aircraft electronics gear after the Nimitz's fire. we used the ship's sauna and had some fans in there to move the warm air arouind. i've let my phone go on unauthorized swim-calls afew times. still works. good luck. hank

Post Thanks / Like

howdy; drying them out is the best way to go. if you need it in a hurry, try setting it about 3 1/2 ft. in front of one of those little heaters with a fan in it. set it on low and in FRONT of the heater. when we were trying to see how much we could salvege of the aircraft electronics gear after the Nimitz's fire. we used the ship's sauna and had some fans in there to move the warm air arouind. i've let my phone go on unauthorized swim-calls afew times. still works. good luck. hank

P.S. take it apart as far as you feel comfortable, get all the parts in front of the heater so that the warm air gets into the phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast