Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: meller yeller

Post Thanks / Like

Default meller yeller

I am new to crappie fishing. I heard someone talk about a bait called I think Meller Yeller. Does anyone know about this bait and where I may order it from. Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

I did a google on it. Couldn't find anything fishing related?

Only stuff about the soft drink. :D
    All in all you're just another fish on my wall.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the try. If I come across it I will let you know. Again thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of a meller yeller, but if your new to crappie fishing, I would suggest you use a minnow and slip float, easy to rig, and its a proven winner in most situations. If you would rather use artificial, there are hundreds of baits out there to choose from, which can be a little overwhelming, even for a veteran. But if artificial is your taste, I would try a 1.5 in. tube jig, ( some colors seem to work better on certain lakes, I like chartreuse, orange, and pepper tri-colors, but the more u catch on a certain color, the more confidence you will have in that particular bait) and pitch it into the cover. But when those crappie start moving shallow, sometimes a bare hook seems to get it done! Good luck to ya in whatever you choose, the main thing is to just get out there:D

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I agree with dedduk's post. I only got in to crappie fishing last year, and my first crappie was caught on a 2" white curlytail grub and jighead rig. I probably caught 25 in a few hours on that combo that day, but it hasn't been nearly as effective all the other times I have fished. I've also caught bass and bream on this little rig... 6" smallmouth on a crappie jig is quite a feeling, but still. I've heard tubes and other low-action baits work best in the spring, with the curly's and other HIGH action baits working best in summer, but I've not tried that yet, just heresay.

Yes, live bait usually works when nothing else will. The disadvantage to minnows is that, when you get in a pile of crap's that are biting hard, sometimes that wait between baiting after each catch is frustrating :D. With artificials, you rarely run in to this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Default dedduk and mattcombs

Thanks for the input. I will try these out when I get the chance. Some friends and I are taking our frist crappie fishing trip this spring. We are going to Cagle Mill Lake in Indiana. We are going down for three days the third week of April. I'll report when we get back as to how we did and what worked for me. Thanks for the help.