Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panfish tips needed

boblaw4844 Guest

Default Panfish tips needed

I really enjoy catching gills I always went with a guy in kentucky and have good luck. When I fish on my own I struggle to catch 10 to 15. Do you have some basic tips so I can start enjoying fishing again.

Post Thanks / Like

When all else fails use worms!!!!!:D What type of water are you fishing? Small or large lakes, clear water, streams? What type of cover is there? Cattails, grass, brush, trees, rock?

Post Thanks / Like

Large bluegills and other sunfish can be tempermental at times. How you fish for them really depends on features of the lake you are on. On most of the small farm ponds I fish there is a good bit of shallow water for beds with cover close by- easier to pinpoint the fish and catch a mess here. Usually have good luck either on my fly rod or with a cricket/meal worm on a light wire hook and a very small piece of split shot under a very small bobber.

I also fish a lake that is mostly deep and is about 400 acres in size- fishing here requires more patience and lots more finesse. The fish usually bed in 12-18 feet of water. They can be hard to find at times- have to look for deep stump beds or sandy bottom areas in deeper water. Using a drop shot rig on 2-4# line with mealworms works best for me in that lake.

Every lake is different and depending on the conditions of the day the fish may move to another location or not bite at all. That's the fun of it and why they call it fishing and not catching. Hope you get into some big ones and fill the boat up this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Use 4 - 6lb test, a stick float, and a small kahle hook.
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Carolina Reb Guest

If you're fishing bedding bream try and fish from the outside of the bed inward so you don't spook the whole bed..This works best for me and you'll catch alot more. Once you pull one out of the middle of the bed at the start it scatters the rest...Hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find them, use crickets. Bream will seldom turn one down.

Post Thanks / Like

Default hook size

If you are getting bites but not catching, you may need to go to a smaller hook. As far as bait, it is hard to beat worms and crickets.
    Good Luck,
    Shadow
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

EAST TENN. DOUGLAS CHEROKEE LOUDON TELLICO WATTS BAR
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up bluffs

we like to go over to the bluff and throw crickets or worms or even a few flies and throw them up nest to the bluff and let them sink real slow, usually does pretty good in the summer and fall.:o

Ranger77 Guest

Default crickets

I usually use crickets on 4# line under a small bobber with a small split shot. Worms work well too, but crickets are my #1 choice. Beetle spins work great too if not using live bait.

Nuklhead Guest

The places I tend to fish for gills respond well to wax worms on small hooks. Many people like to use the ice fishing jigs. They're good because they have small hooks, and you can feel the bites easier. Late May / Early June usually tends to be good times for catching the spawn.

I like the medium size paintless jig heads for crappies. Just stick a small tube jig on the jig head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast