I know it is the wrong time of year but I am going to start threads on all my local lakes and as the season rolls around I will update and encourage all of you crappie fishermen to do so also, as very few fishermen in our area fish crappie.

I fished crappie at piru this early spring and got a few pointers from the guy who runs the bait shop at the lake. The main crappie area is the west side of the lake just before the newly installed launch ramp. This bank drops off quickly and contains brush target the 10-12' zone in this area early in the spring verticle jigging right off the bottem. I personally verticle jig or pound as I call it, use 2 # test drop it to the bottem lift it up 1 or 2 cranks and start making pretty fast almost hammering motions 2-4 in with your rod tip for a few seconds then pause. The tackle guy tosses jigs up to shore in this area lets them sink to the bottem then slowly windin, setting the hook on anything that starts to bend the rod tip. There are 2 other areas that hold crappie(as far as I know) but I cannot describe them and I do not have my piru map hand at this point. White is always good at this lake. Ps the bank mentioned above is the most fishable each morning as this lake get a little rough and this bank will also get muddy.