Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Vinyl Jig Paint HELP

Fisher-of-men Guest

Smile Vinyl Jig Paint HELP

For years I have used powder paints for my jigs, but I have started pouring a weedless jig and must use vinyl paints.

It must be my technique, but I am not impressed with the results.

I put a base coat of white and then finish with a final color. I am having problems with consistent color and the paint wants to run.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Fisher-of-men

Post Thanks / Like

Your not doing anything wrong the paint should run. This how I paint mine

1) First start out by heating the paint, use a old pan bring the water to 150 degrees or so, by using the fish fryer temp indicator. Place the bottle of paint in the water for 10-15 minutes. This heats the paint so it has the consitancy of water.
    2) Hang the jigs by the hook on something (rod or chain). Head pointed down
    3) Dip the bottle on to the head and then let the paint run off head for a few seconds.
    4) After a cone head appears blot it with a paper towel. You may have to repeat a couple of times.

I will do this on all of my paint and clear coats. I apply one coat of white and then 2 coats of color and 2 coats of clear. If you do this I know your jigs will turn out good.

Also I never add thinner to my paints, to me it only seems to shorten the life of the paint in the jar.
    Last edited by TAE73; 03-05-2006 at 01:01 PM.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion