Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Extendable Poles - Rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Extendable Poles - Rigging

I am new at fishing the spring spawn for crappie, I bought three poles but do not have any idea as to rigging. Do I put guides on the pole, what type of line, slip cork, etc..? All suggestion and pictures will be appreciated, like I said I am new at this type of fishing.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a couple packs of eyes and put them on a couple my poles winded with thread and then super glue over the thread. Looks pretty good, sorta like factory done. Then I bought a couple of cheap line winding B & M pole reels and taped them on. Reels are not much, just allows you to let a little line out for deeper depths while tight lining. I'm planning on replacing them with Mitchell 500UL reels soon. For just fishing beaverhuts or brush along the bank when the crappie are on beds a reel isnt needed if that's what you plan on using them for.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb The two I have ... 10ft & 12ft

I rigged w/o reels. I used 15lb test Cortland braid - wrapped/tied the line around the butt end - then wrapped the line around the fully extended pole, about 5-6 times - at the tip I wrapped the line around a couple of times and then turned a loop backwards over it, to secure it from slipping - then I measured out more line, the same length of the pole, and ran that line thru the tip eye - I attached a 1ft leader of mono to the end of the braid - put on a slip float - then attached the hook & sinker.
    I used these rigs for fishing minnows/floats around shallow brush cover, during the spawning period, on Barkley Lake (many, many moons ago). Floats were set to about 1.5ft deep ... and I was fishing in water of 2-4ft depths. The long rods allowed me to put the minnow back into the openings of the brush, without having to actually put the boat into them. I was able to actually lift 2+lb Crappie, up out of the brush and over the tops of the brush that was above the water ... and swing them to me, as I stood on the raised deck of my boat. Here's a link to a thread about those experiences: http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...hlight=barkley

Gabowman has some good suggestions. It all boils down to "how" you are going to use these poles, and what methods and conditions you will face at the waters where you fish. You'll get lots of different opinions on how to make the best use of these rods ... so just keep reading & asking questions, we're here to help ........ luck2ya .... cp

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

crappiepappy, that is exactly how I used to rig my poles and fish 'em when Russell was a new lake and all the tree tops were green and still standing in all the coves of the lake. Never even thought about reels until I started back night stalking and I still wanted to use the poles since catching fish on 'em is so much fun.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I agree it how you intend to fish them I have both kinds In the spawn I wrap line about half way down the extended pole I just use electrical tape at the tip I use a slip float or a clip on since im not going to fishing very deep Prespawn is different i use the B+M and Power Poles so i can fish deeper

Post Thanks / Like

I take paper clips and bend them into eyes, Use electric tape to take them on. I use big paper clips on the big end of the rods. And toward the tip the little one.s
    Works.
    Pete