Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you fish this crappie rig

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you fish this crappie rig

I just bought this crappie rig from my local fishing store for $.99. It consists of a line with two arms that hold out two leaders with aberdeen hooks on them. I am not sure how to fish with this. Should I cast it out and let it sit on the bottom or drop it in and bounce it around or what?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Cartman; 03-15-2011 at 06:43 PM.
    Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes...oh well, it was a nice day at the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a trolling rig. Can you post a pic?

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is a Kentucky rig the way you describe it.

Jlittle23

Post Thanks / Like

You can fish them tightline or under a float. Either way those things have caught go-zillions of crappie.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If it has a line loop on one end and a snap on the other, you put a casting sinker on the snap and fish it by bumping bottom. The weight of the sinker will depend on depth, speed you are going to fish, personal preference. Yes, that is basically a KY rig.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Fish it the way the guys above have said. It works well under a float or bottom bouncing. I make some that are very similar but are much, much lighter. I also space the hooks out 18" so you can cover a little more water column a little easier. The best piece of advice I can give for fishing under a float is to test rig it to the float to see how much float you need to hold it up or how much lead you need to pull the float down. I test this out in a 3 liter bottle or 5 gallon bucket. the 3 liter bottle gives you a chance to see from the side how the rig will look in the water.

If the fish are biting light I use more weight so the float is more submerged. I will tell you this too, you will twice the minnows because you will go through them quicker. My fishing buddy always uses one hook per pole. I use this set-up per pole. I have 6 hooks in the water to his 3 and usually catch 2:1 for fish as well. By spacing the depths of your poles out you can home in on the depth a lot quicker than the single hook method.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your advice. Crappie are just starting to bite at my local lake, and believe it or not, I have never caught one.

Thanks again. I love Crappie.com!
    Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes...oh well, it was a nice day at the lake.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    If it has a line loop on one end and a snap on the other, you put a casting sinker on the snap and fish it by bumping bottom. The weight of the sinker will depend on depth, speed you are going to fish, personal preference. Yes, that is basically a KY rig.
    You can also save money and make your own KY rigs with your own variations. There is a sticky "knots and basic setups for beginners" at the top of this forum. The KY rig is great for deep water crappies.

Welcome from Alabama.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

good luck

Post Thanks / Like

you guys call it what you want but i call it a "tacklebox nightmare".........a drop shot rig works just a good
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast