PDA

View Full Version : Stick Steering boat?

bentpole
03-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Does anyone still Mfg,The stick steering boats besides the trackers that are sold by bps:confused:

stumpbumpers
03-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Yeh there are still several manufacturers SeaArk and War Eagle are two I can think of right off.http://www.wareagleboats.com/boats/detail.asp?id=13&catID=3 I can't access Sea Ark it is off my screen, maybe you'll have better luck than me accessing directly.

slabbandit
03-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Hey there Bentpole, There are a few different companys that make good stick steering boats. I think Lowe makes one and I know a few other companies do too. Stick steering rigs are pretty popular down here in Arkansas.

I bought a new PF-16 stick steering from Bass Pro back in 1988. Still using it today and couldn't be happier with it!:)

Always go with the highest rated horsepower, usually 40 HP, and tilt and trim. You won't regret it.

One thing that I like about my rig is that I don't have to get out of my seat once I leave the ramp. Driving, running the trolling motor, and fishing is all done from the front seat.

CrappieHead
03-05-2006, 05:21 AM
here is a boat company that offers stick steer with a wider bottom and bigger engine 50hp Lake Sport Boats http://www.rivertrailinc.com/

Fisher Boats makes one along with Express Boats

JET4
03-05-2006, 05:25 AM
G3 Boats makes one. Eagle 165PF

mikeg
03-05-2006, 06:14 AM
Bentpole progator makes a fiberglass boat with stick stering this is one nice boat and has a awsom hull warent and is made to last,www.progator.com.

mikeg

ranger rick
03-05-2006, 09:03 AM
dont know if they still make them or not, mines a 1648ss gruman-1998

paw paw perch
03-05-2006, 09:08 AM
I have a triton 1653SS that I really do like. It's well bilt and has alot of nice features

SteveJ
03-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Another one

http://www.williamsboatcountry.com/williamscraft/index.html

tiger9297
03-06-2006, 09:09 AM
I have looked at some stick steer boats. I like the fact that you can do everything from one seat, BUT alot of people have told me that if you are in the boat by yourself and the water is rough that you will get soaked b/c of all the weight up front. Do you guys that own these boats have this problem?

petitjeanview
03-27-2011, 04:46 PM
I have looked at some stick steer boats. I like the fact that you can do everything from one seat, BUT alot of people have told me that if you are in the boat by yourself and the water is rough that you will get soaked b/c of all the weight up front. Do you guys that own these boats have this problem?

I know this thread is old, but can someone with a stick steer answer this question. I am thinking of buying one and I fish alone 95% of the time.
Thanks

steve48
03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
bentpole,
Someone had a new carolina skiff on here yesterday. Had pics of it also. check it out.It was on this board.

striperking
03-27-2011, 05:05 PM
They are good boat's ,it's according to what your going to do with it.When I had one I only got wet when the water was rough.I sold mine in january because it was killing my back,you feel every little thing when running down the lake because of sitting up front.

jwilson48
03-27-2011, 05:15 PM

maybe some in real rough waters but most of the water splashes behind you where the back seat is. they are a lot rougher but much more practical if you don't want a big boat and you don't want to ever move. me personally i have to get up to stretch my legs every so often anyways.

rlDarling
03-27-2011, 05:56 PM
buy one you will love it have an 02 tracker myself

deedoe
03-27-2011, 08:48 PM
I had a duracraft for 8 yrs and enjoyed fishing for crappie out of it. the bass bug bit and i sold it for a tracker. the stick steer is a rougher ride in chop but if powered rite weight is placedeven they are great for panfish.

Sam
03-28-2011, 09:07 AM
I have a new (2009 left over) Carolina Skiff J16 with a Honda 25 4 stroke. They quit making Stick Steer because they say they weren't popular. I love this boat. I also have a Stratos 486 SF with a Evinrude 150 2 stroke. I have gotten a very occasional spray while running full out in the Crystal River with about a 2' chop. I have gotten similar sprays in the Stratos. A lot will depend on the design of the hull you choose - some have side chines or whatever to reduce spray in chop. I would say that the J16 is possibly a little smoother riding in rough water - it seems to glide down the back of the wave instead of plowing through them.

huntinslabs
03-28-2011, 12:15 PM
These guys Welcome to Royal Boats- maker of the finest fiberglass stick steering boats on the water (http://www.royalboats.net/) are in your backyard and appear to make a fine looking boat. I have not seen one firsthand but they look good in the pics. Also Monk's was selling a stick steer glass boat. Have not looked in a while but the pics were not very good or descriptive.

anvil
03-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Look into the Lowe boats and also polar Kraft makes a killer boat.. Look for a wide bottom and modified V instead of flat. I have fished out of a Jon 99% of my life and don't plan on changing any time soon.
I have to admit I do like those big glass boats but i can take my jon places you will never see in your heavy tracker or glass boat.

skiptomylu
03-28-2011, 01:45 PM
If you get one just make sure it has some really tough steering system as I had one way back in like 1970 that was one of the old Skeeter Bass boats and let me tell you if that steering breaks it's a son of a gun as some one has to sit in the back and turn the motor while someone pours the gas to it. Just a FYI! I had that happen and was lucky a big on strong guy wan with me as we had to go through the the bayous running through the marsh in between Texas and Louisiana and he turned that 75 HP motor by just hugging it and turning, LOL! Real winding run through that stuff.

Skip

skeetbum
03-28-2011, 10:27 PM

I owned a 1648 stick boat with a 25 johnson(ran between 19 and 22 mph) and it did well for me for 6 years or so until I sold it and moved into a bass boat for several reasons. You have to understand the limitations of them. Sitting up front makes you the first one to the waves, hence they ride rough due to the flat bottom they usually possess. Also sitting up front when alone tends to lift the motor and help in decavitation, or air getting to the prop while underway. I put a good sized cooler full of water in the back to help tone it down, but it wasn't quite enough. The one that I had was riveted, and it will be the last riveted boat I will own. I hit 3 rough waves in the dark and loosened 4 rivets, and didn't walk right for 4 days. Over the next few years, one by one a total of 17 rivets were dripping when water was put in the boat, plug in, while on the trailer. Storage was not in abundance, and a live well wasn't in this boat either. Being light and high sided they catch the wind and blow around in winds that I can now endure. They react fast when you lose your balance and try to catch yourself, another con of the light weight.
The pro's were cheap operation, easy to trailer as most aluminum boats don't weigh much, and the lack of interior was a plus. When the weather turns bad, or it fills with leaves, or it gets rained on for long periods it doesn't get hurt cuz it's all metal. Pop the seats into the shed and you're good to go. I have low back issues and needed something that reacts a little slower and rides smoother.
Just some input, I had a ball and caught lots of fish out of that boat, and I miss the versatility of a metal boat. Good luck with your search.....Skeet.

huntinslabs
03-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Just saw one of these Lancer Marine 1569 (http://lancermarineboats.com/1569.html) on the road and it looked pretty nice. Website is in need of some help, but ya might find a dealer or email them for some pics.

creekslick
03-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Rough if you have a bad back.

rlDarling
03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
your wright creekslick, bad on your back even when you don't have abad back when your over 55. Even though mines got a40 h.p. i normally just cruise aboat 2/3 throttle and enjoy the scenery. them fish ain't goin no where.

cache22
03-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Got this last fall and can't find anything to complain about. It does not get you wet in rough water, not a bumpy ride, and will run 30 mph with 40HP 'rude. Especially nice if you fish alone a lot. Easy to load and never have to leave seat to fish. Only if nature calls:D.

bistineaudon
02-20-2014, 02:00 PM
i have a 08 g3 i love it..just set in one place and catch fish...this is my 3rd stick steer...ive had 8 or 1- boats...i love the stick steers the best tho...where i fish---lake bistineau--- its all flooded cypress it will go anywhere...great fot trotlining too

CrappieHead
02-21-2014, 03:16 AM
Buy good rain gear.

Cane Pole
02-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Check out hydraulic stick steering while you art it. Easy steering into hard turns and rough water. I tried one out before I built electric steering.

saute86
02-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Check out the 17ft war eagle. It is roomy with lots of storage and floor space. Side mounted live well. It will be my next boat.

eagle 1
02-22-2014, 02:51 PM
DURACRAFT , I THINK STILL SELLS THEM THAT WAY .:twocents