Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jig heads that hang horizontal?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig heads that hang horizontal?

I really hate how the line tends to slip on roundhead jig eyes. Can't tell you how many times I've retrieved a jig after a cast to find it's been hanging with the tail end drooping. Makes the jig look unnatural.

I saw a jig head style a few months back in one of the fishing magazines where the line is threaded through the jig head. I think it was in In Fisherman. For the life of me I don't remember what it was called, though. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Any other jigs heads that will fit a solid body jig and hang straight at a 90 degree angle to the line?
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Center Balance

It' a balancing act, like a teter-tooter. The jig eye is your center point. When you stack a lead barb on one side it will tilt. Use jig heads without a barb and just use a drop of super glue to hold your plastic bodies in place. Here is a picture of a balanced jig. Lead Head Jigs - NightProwler64 Custom Crappie Jigs
    Hope this helps,
    NightProwler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shoemoo View Post
    I really hate how the line tends to slip on roundhead jig eyes. Can't tell you how many times I've retrieved a jig after a cast to find it's been hanging with the tail end drooping.
    I have never had this problem. If the knot is snug, it should not slip unless you hook a crappie or a snag. I guess a really hard cast might cause it to slip.

What knot are you using?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You can bend the eyelet back some toward the hook point and find a balance position. I tie a loop knot and bend my hook eye.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

There a jighead out that I tie jigs on for the sole reason. Its a gentz jighead. It has 3 like round heads on it. One below the Hook eye, One at the hook eye, and one past the hook eye. And these my friend hang as horizontal as you can get..PM me theres a little trick to it also...When done right you will like this..

Post Thanks / Like

Bend the eye back works, and the Ultra Minnow heads hang horizontal in the water. Also a tight knot will hold it until something pulls it (fish, strong cast) but you don't get the action you do with a loop knot.

Post Thanks / Like

crappie magnet makes one that is the closest to hanging horizontal. leland's lures i believe it is. google will find it.

Post Thanks / Like

Its called a shad dart head oldduck hunter. I forgot about those, and they do hang horizontal also..

Post Thanks / Like

I also use a loop knot and round head jigs always hang horizontally for me. With a loop knot I've always gotten my jigs to hang at a 90* angle to the stem of the eye. Great knots for all presentations. The one I use I learned from Hank Parker over 20 yrs ago, I tried it and immediately there were many differences. Through the years I've modified it and learned all the tricks of sizing the loop. I fish mono's and co-poly's exclusively and they work great, but I've noticed that the braids I've tyed, it stinks. But I guess if you burn the line to cut it, almost all knots improved greatly with the braid. Seems that little goo-ball of melted line is what keeps the line from pulling through the knot. Hope you find this somewhat useful, good luck.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

These are center balanced right out of the pack,...Welcome to Crappie Pro
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast