Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trim Trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trim Trouble

Went outside to trim up the motor and hook up the transom saver. When I hit the tab switch the motor wouldnt come up. It goes down fine but want come back up. The battery has a full charge. Any suggestions that might help me fix it so I can fish tommorow?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Find the up solenoid and verify you have 12V coming to it when switch is engaged. If you do, jump the 2 bigger wires momentarily. If the motor comes up, replace the solenoid. The up ones are usually the first to go because they have more current going thru them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Find the up solenoid and verify you have 12V coming to it when switch is engaged. If you do, jump the 2 bigger wires momentarily. If the motor comes up, replace the solenoid. The up ones are usually the first to go because they have more current going thru them.
    Where do you find the solenoid?

Also I just went out again and it feels like the switch is bad. Like its lost its resistance and is just loose on the up side of the switch.

Is there someway that I am going to be able to get it trimmed up if the switch is bad? Just wondering if I should go ahead and call off the trip for tommorow cause I know I am not going to find a trim switch on Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

On mine there are two relay switch one for up one for down I repalced the down switch and fixed it.

Post Thanks / Like

If the hydraulic fluid is low it won't raise the motor.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Try another switch...you have 2 or 3 on the boat don't you?

Post Thanks / Like

this happened to me a couple of years ago on a 200 hp Evinrude. mine had 2 relays one for up and one for down. Just pop it out and replaceit ways located under motor cover in fuse panel.. What kind of motor is it?

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a Mercury, swap the relays. If the motor will raise, but not lower, then you just need a new relay.

The relays should be on the right side of the block as you are looking from behind.

Post Thanks / Like

I just had the very same problem. It was the limit switch. I have a Mercury motor. Hope this helps.
    ERN

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

On my old 83 Merc 150, the solenoid or relays are mounted on the trim motor.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast