Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: line memory

Post Thanks / Like

Default line memory

about a month ago i bought some i think it was trilene, 8 pound mono
    spooled it on two spinning reels, held the line while spooling so it would go on tight, and the line seems to have a lot of memory, way too much memory for new line. is there something i did wrong (besides not buy your brand of choice) and is there something i can do to fix it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strahm View Post
    is there something i did wrong
    Probably not. What size reel are you using? If the spool is tiny, that could cause it.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What DBD said and also consider the size difference of the spools.Mono has memory and IMHO it takes it a while to adapt to the smaller spool. Never put on new line the day you plan on fishing if you don't have to, and if you do let it drag out behind an idling boat and rewind it. This lets out any twist and gives even tension while retrieving it and it works better for me. Fluorocarbon is worse yet. I use 1500 and 2000 series reels because of the tight memory of the smaller spools.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Trilene seems to hold memory worse than regular mono, which could be part of the problem. Skeet gave good advice about dragging the line, without your rig tied to it, to unwind the kinks.

Always a good idea to watch the line as it comes off the spool onto the reel. I lay the spool flat on the floor and hold the line tight with my fingers. Watch the line coming off the spool. As line comes off the spool it has twist in it, and you want to wind it onto the reel so it untwists. If it starts kinking or twisting, simply flip the spool over and continue winding. That should let the line come off smooth, and untwist it as it goes on the reel, as opposed to adding more twist to it.
    "They bitin' up river on that topwater"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Ive used Trilene XL and hated it line twist/slinky effect. But one thing did you reel the line off the spool the same direction as your bail turns? I have tied a nice ball bearing swivel to the end of line had my son hold it I walked the length of my yard and reeled-in to get twist out.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I also noticed different things about Trilene that I didn't get with other lines. I always use clear blue Stren and haven't had any problems that were terrible. All line twists some, I just liked Stren better. Ford/Chevy.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Gamma, Sufix & Viscous all in 4# test..All are excellent.. I have been trying to decide which is best for the past 2 years..,,I will make up my mind soon...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

As the others stated we drag line out behind boat and then re-wind. This will help. We've always used Trilene in the past and its definitely a good idea not to use on day of spooling. Also, changed and tried EXCEL in 6 lb. test mono. We like the lite dia. of this line yet very strong. We even use this line when smallmouth fishing and not just crappie. Very good line for the $$$.
    "evil flourishes when good men & women do nothing..and so, let's go fishing! " <'(((><

Post Thanks / Like

Correction.....My bad.... the line we changed to was not EXCEL it is SUFFIX. Just a note......
    "evil flourishes when good men & women do nothing..and so, let's go fishing! " <'(((><

dkb23 is offline Moderator Illinois Forum and Supermod
    Post Thanks / Like

Vicious Mono.....works better that any I've tried.
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.:rolleyes:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast