Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hook size for live bait

Post Thanks / Like

Default hook size for live bait

I'am new to crappie fishing, I was wanting to know what size of hook do you guys use for minnows and crickets any help would be a big help Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default re:hok size

I am also new to crappie fishing and I use a size 10 or 12 seems all I can get are small minows.Not for nothing I have also caught them while trolling with medium size Rapala's and also Rat'l Traps. Hope that helps.
    tioga

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

For Minnows A #2elw Is What I Have Used For Years

Been A While On Crickets But I Would Think A #6 Would Be A Good Size
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Double naught ....

I use a #1 Eagle Claw light wire bronze Aberdeen style hook for minnows. I've used all sizes from #6 to 2/0 ... and find these to be a happy median.

As for crickets ..... I'd use either a "cricket hook" ... a #4 Aberdeen ... or a small Kahle hook. Any hook that you can stick into the cricket, and hide most of the hook, should work. "Cricket hooks" are usually long shanked hooks ... used so that you have something to grab ahold of, to get the hook back out of the mouth of the fish. Crappie don't usually "nip" at baits, like Bluegill & other "sunfish" do ... they usually suck in their prey, taste it, then decide if they like it or not ... and either swallow it or spit it out. The trick is to set the hook on them ... when they suck the bait in, and before they decide to swallow it or spit it out.
    Oh, and just so you know ... I only use minnows when I can't get them to hit jigs -- and I never Crappie fish with Crickets (sunfish do enough damage to the plastics I throw ... and they tend to kill, maim, or steal a large portion of the minnows I use -- I wouldn't want to encourage them, by feeding them Crickets ... :D ) Just MHO .......... luck2ya ....... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I Use A 1/0 Light Wire.it Is Big Enough That When You Set The Hook It Will Grab Something And When You Get Hung Up Just Pull On It And It Will Straighten Out

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading quite a bit on the Carolina board all about all the small hooks they use I bought a pack or two of small hooks. I think I missed more fish or either the fish would swallow the hooks so I went back toi my old standard.....1/0 wire hooks. I dont miss as may fish and they hardly ever swallow it unless you dont see the bite and they keep the minnow in their mouths too long.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used a 1/0.
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    Ronald Reagan -

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used the 1/0 true turn hook.

Post Thanks / Like

I use an extra light wire #2 gold or red hook with 2 in. or less minnows, 1/0 with the big minnows, won't touch a cricket. I like a #8 long shank for gills

Slab-Daddy Guest

I've been experimenting with #1 and #2 hooks for Crappie and catch about the same amount of fish on each size. The advantage of the #2 hook is when you hang up it straightens out easier so you don't break off as often. Also make sure they are the extra light wire, EL214 is what I use I think. As far as cricket hooks your guess is as good as mine but I believe a #6 long shank hook would work well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast