Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Recommended Arkansas Trout Fishing, places to stay, guides, bank fishing????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recommended Arkansas Trout Fishing, places to stay, guides, bank fishing????

Hopefully an early June vacation. Do any of you have good to great recommendations on places to stay, potential guides to use? Also, would ask if you could recommend trout fishing areas to fish from the bank or even better a place to stay with good trout fishing from the bank in that area.

Sure appreciate any help you might provide.

Good Luck Fishing,
    Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

check out in the trade a trip section. Theres a guy that guides I believe around that area..Check Him Out

Post Thanks / Like

I live just outside of Arkansas and make day trips to fish, so I can't help with places to stay recommendations. I know there are plenty of places in and around Mountain Home which are convenient to the White and Norfork river tailwaters. Theres also places to stay in Heber Springs (near the Little Red River tailwater) and both Mammoth Springs and Hardy near the Spring river. All of these places also have resorts on the water, but I haven't stayed at any of them.

One thing to be aware of with the tailwaters, bank fishing may be impractical or impossible if they are releasing a lot of water from the resevoirs. Usually in June things have calmed down for awhile unless its unusually wet or hot. Fishing from a boat (which are available for rent) is terrific any time. If they are releasing small amounts of water or not releasing, the wade fishing is terrific at almost any access point. I presume you could fish the deeper pools effectively from the bank as well if you don't wish to wade. Fly fishing depends on the river and season, but woolly buggers in dark colors work at all times. Sowbug imitations work well year round in the tailwaters. At certain times of the year there are good cadis and mayflie hatches. If spin fishing, Berkley Powerbait Eggs with a small split shot drifted along will catch the rainbows, cutthroats, and smaller browns. Night crawlers and minnow imitating lures are better for big fish.

I've never used or needed a guide, but have heard that they will put you onto tons of fish. One site online that you might want to check out is ozarkanglers.com and their forum. There seems to be a lot of info. on local conditions their. Looks like most of the content there is from guide John Berry - who I've met, but do not really know.